Yellow parking zone to split after numerous comments, complaints

In response to numerous complaints and suggestions, Parking and Transportation will divide the expansive yellow parking zone into three new colored zones next semester, making a total of eight zones.

This year, the yellow zone was comprised of the areas near the BankUnited Center (BUC), Wellness Center, Pavia Garage, and Eaton and Mahoney-Pearson Residential Colleges. The new changes will make Pavia and its surroundings areas a pink zone, Mahoney-Pearson will be designated white, and yellow will maintain the areas near the Wellness Center and the BUC.

According to Director of Parking and Transportation Richard Sobaram, the decision to divide yellow into three zones had been discussed since October. The only problem was whether to enact the changes for this past spring semester or wait until next fall.

Sobaram said another issue was reducing the number of cars “hunting” for spots throughout campus, especially near what Sobaram calls “the academic core,” or the University Center. This hunting problem was a major factor that initially led to the colored parking zones.

“In previous years, we sold people a hunting license, giving you the right to hunt for a parking spot,” Sobaram said. “That created a lot of intercampus trips.”

Students like senior Kevin Peterson chose the yellow zone because of its proximity to the Wellness Center. However, he will consider switching to the new Mahoney-Pearson zone to get assured parking near his classes.

“I usually park in front of the BUC because I don’t like garages, and most spots are packed early,” he said. “I would try to get the white zone because it’s near my classes at Merrick.”

Peterson, however, feels that the division of the yellow zone will not have much of an effect on easing parking problems. Others like sophomore Karam Alawa believe that this may help.

“I think so, but only time will tell” Alawa said. “Last year it cost $400 to park in all areas when it now costs the same to park only in yellow.”

Though many seek to claim the new zones’ close distance to classes and the central area of campus, freshman Stefania Pinto is worried that the division of yellow will affect the options she had within the yellow zone.

“I’m probably going to switch to Pavia, so I’m not happy with the division,” she said. “Because I’m a psychology major, I take a lot of classes at Flipse, and I park next to the BUC and Rainbow Building to get to class.”

Pinto also felt that the new floors of Pavia should have been completed sooner. According to Sobaram, the new levels will open in late May and the first floor will be reserved for visitors.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...