Sports briefs 4-26

College Gameday

For the first time ever, ESPN will be filming a College Gameday commercial on a university campus and fans have an input as to where it is shot.

Up until May 2, fans can vote once per day for their university at gamedayvote.com, either through smartphones or through a computer or the facebook app at facebook.com/collegegameday.

More than 120 FBS football programs are expected to participate.

The winning campus will have its spot filmed over the summer with students expected to play a big part in the commercial.

Football

Earlier this week, the team announced a new three-game series against the Florida Atlantic University Owls beginning in 2013.

Miami will host the Owls for the first time on Aug. 31, 2013 before traveling to FAU Stadium in 2015. The final game will take place in 2016 at Sun Life Stadium.

Although the teams have never met before on the field, they both have ties to former coach Howard Schnellenberger, who led the Canes to their first national championship and was the forerunner to helping FAU build its own football stadium.

Women’s Basketball

Miami head coach Katie Meier has been selected as the coach for the 2012 Under 18 women’s USA national team.

She will be joined by LSU head coach Nikki Caldwell and Gonzaga coach Kelly Graves.

The team will compete in the 2012 FIBA Americas U18 Championships in San Juan, Puerto Rico in hopes of earning a berth in the 2013 FIBA U19 World Championships for Women.

Trials to select the 12-member squad will take place on May 18 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Championships in San Juan, Puerto Rico in hopes of earning a berth in the 2013 FIBA U19 World Championships for Women. Trials to select the 12-member squad will take place on May 18 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...