Best beer in Miami

World of Beer is a popular bar in Miami because of it's wide variety of beers. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photoeditor
World of Beer is a popular bar in Miami because of it's wide variety of beers. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

Homer Simpson once said that beer is “the cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.” There’s no doubt that many students enjoy the occasional brew (or 10), but there’s only so many Natty Ice or Keystone Lights someone can take before it all just begins to pass as water. Thankfully, there are plenty of locations close to campus where students can get good beer without breaking the bank. Even better, many of these places have so much variety that there’s something available for everyone.

World of Beer

When it comes to beer selection, there aren’t too many places with as much variety as the World of Beer. Located across from Dadeland Mall, the diversity is obvious as soon as you walk in, with the walls of refrigerators categorizing the more than 500 beers by country of origin. World of Beer, which updates its beer selection regularly, encourages patrons to become a “beer legend” by signing up for their loyalty card, which can be used to gain points for prizes after every different kind of beer purchased. Prizes include anything between T-shirts to mugs to plaques, even a party with a $500 bar tab if you get to 500. Weekly happy hour specials include Tuesday night’s Yappy Hour ($1 for all dog-related beers) and Thursday night’s ladies night. But the best time to visit is on Wednesday, when all college students and faculty get half off all drafts. With live music playing every Thursday through Saturday, this bar locale is a beer connoisseur’s playground.

World of Beer is located at 9010 SW 72nd Pl., Suite F-101, Miami.

Yardhouse

It’s hard to imagine that beer enthusiasts wouldn’t find something they enjoy here. Sporting more than 140 different beers, Yard House is great for both the experienced beer drinker and those looking to find something they like. It’s difficult not to be impressed walking by the bar area and realizing it’s surrounded by different drafts. The staff is well-educated and the menu offers descriptions categorizing what kind of beer you are selecting from (ambers, pale ales, craft beers) and what kind of flavor to expect. For those overwhelmed by the choices, Yard House makes it a little easier by offering a sampler plate of six different beers, selected each day by the staff, to give patrons a few different tastes. Though kind of pricy during regular hours, happy hour is the best time to visit, with great discounts on all serving sizes. If you’re feeling adventurous, purchase the half-yard, a foot-and-a-half tall glass of your favorite brew. Just don’t try chugging it (or do).

Yard House is located at 320 San Lorenzo Ave., Coral Gables.

Burger and Beer Joint

Though not quite as extensive as the other locations on this list, Burger and Beer Joint earns a spot due to both its selection of beer and pairings with great burgers. With two locations, one in Brickell and the other in Miami Beach, B&B offers 99 different beers including some more well-known brews (Yeungling, Guinness, New Castle) to some more interesting, lesser-known selections (Golden Monkey, Red Brick Blonde). The selection is diverse enough so that you won’t get bored anytime soon. With all the beer and burgers you could ask for (and you can draw on the tables), B&B warrants a visit next time you’re looking to reward your palate.

Burger and Beer Joint is located at 1766 Bay Road, Miami Beach, and at 900 S. Miami Ave.  in the Brickell area.

Democratic Republic of Beer

The Epcot theme park at Walt Disney World in Orlando is interesting in that it offers guests the opportunity to go around several different countries and “Drink Around the World.” Although this location certainly lacks mice and rides, the Democratic Republic of Beer is just as worldly. With more than 500 beers from 69 different countries, the extensive menu is updated weekly, making it a challenge to even make a dent in it. DRB  even offers a passport you can apply for which keeps track of everything you’ve drank, with badges and different prizes based off several different drinking criteria.

DRB is located at 255 NE 14th St., Miami.