Summertime opens up doors, offers opportunities

School’s out and we’re now faced with three months of vacation time. Don’t spend the summer stuck at home all day. There are a variety of other options for students.

One way to have a productive summer is to get a part-time job. Many people don’t want to work during the summer because they think it may be boring, but work doesn’t have to be boring.

If you like kids, there are summer camps that you can work at. Having a little extra money on the side is always a plus.

Internships are another possibility. Although most are unpaid, there are paid internships as well. Regardless, they can be rewarding. Internships look great on resumes and  many times, help land you that first job after graduation. Networking and hands-on experience are key. Employers like to see that you have experience in the field you’re getting into.

Studying abroad or taking summer classes are other ways to keep busy. Studying abroad can be a fun and life-changing experience. Many schools offer summer abroad programs where you can spend a few weeks to a month in another country and immerse yourself in a different culture. In many cases you can also earn college credits.

Summer classes can help you get ahead or catch up. These classes are typically smaller so you are able to get more help from your professor.

If none of these options is your cup of tea, you can always engage in community service. Some scholarships require this for eligibility and it is a good way to help out and make a difference in someone’s life.

No matter what you do this summer, just make sure that you enjoy it.

Taylor Duckett is a freshman majoring in political science. 

Taylor Duckett

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...