Nuclear Iran proves to be threat

I

ran must not get a nuclear weapon. It would completely reshape the power balance in the Middle East and put the United States in danger.

Iranian President Ahmadinejad is an unstable and vicious tyrant. When his people rebelled against what was thought to be a corrupt electoral victory, Ahmadinejad’s regime hunted down the protestors and silently killed them and their families. Today there is no dissent in Iran out of fear of certain death.

Since the Iranian Revolution in 1979, Iran has been a state sponsor of terror. Hezbollah and Hamas, recognized terrorist organizations, have received arms and money from Iran and have carried out attacks against innocent civilians with Iran’s blessing.

In 1983, Hezbollah bombed a Marines barrack in Beirut, Lebanon. Two hundred forty-one Marines died in the attack. Eleven years later, in 1994, Iran directed Hezbollah to bomb a Jewish Community Center in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Eighty-five people died.

More recently, Iran has set up training camps in America’s backyard: Venezuela and Brazil. They have supported insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan who fight against our troops. In October, Iran recruited a Mexican cartel, Los Zetas, in an assassination attempt on the Saudi Ambassador on American soil. Later that week, Iranian proxies set up deadly bombings in India and Georgia.

Iran has sought to weaken democratic states and has killed innocent civilians. Now, Iran is in the process of acquiring nuclear capabilities. However, the world community has almost universally condemned Iran’s actions. Congress and the European Union have passed crippling sanctions against Iran’s economy and petrochemical industry.

President Obama said that he would not tolerate a nuclear Iran. I have a lot of faith in you, Mr. President. Don’t let us down. The consequences would be too grave.

Jordan Lewis is a sophomore majoring in political science. He is the president of the UM Young Democrats.

Jordan Lewis

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Nuclear Iran proves to be threat”

1. Kyle Bedu says:

I feel that this opinion is too alarmist. What exactly would Iran do with a nuclear weapon? Using one against the United States or their allies is suicidal. Ahmadinejad isn’t the fool you portray him as; his sponsorship of terrorism and murder of political dissidents is logical, as it furthers his country’s political goals. Attacking with a nuclear weapon would not further his country’s political goals. He won’t do it.

A nuclear Iran would deter future United States interference and would force us to initiate containment policies in the middle east. Because of this I would prefer that Iran doesn’t get nuclear weapons either. But portraying Ahmadinejad as a nut who doesn’t care about the continued existence of his country is misrepresentation.

Finally, you should know that if Iran were to enact a nuclear launch, Ahmadinejad wouldn’t be the one to authorize it. Supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei is the one with most of the power over security policy. This is the same Khamenei who issued a fatwa (Islamic juristic ruling) against the use of nuclear weapons and ended the Iran-Iraq war because he determined that the costs (half a million fatalities) were too great. So your implication that a crazy Iran that would use nuclear weapons is flawed.

2. Jordan says:

He is both a tyrant of the people and a puppet of Khameini.

3. jon says:

“Iranian President Ahmadinejad is an unstable and vicious tyrant”

and my unstable and vicious tyrant you mean puppet

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...