Iran may economically choke U.S.

T

he threat of Iran is imminent. Most dismiss the reality that a nuclear-proliferated Iran will be a real threat to America. It’s not like they could ever drop the bomb on American soil right?  It’s not an attack on American soil that we should fear.  It’s our economic longevity.

Let us think back to December and March when Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad threatened to shut down the Strait of Hormuz.  This would have stifled the world’s oil supply from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Qatar and Bahrain.

The oil coming out of this strait amounts to about 40 percent of world sea-borne oil and almost 20 percent of the entire world oil supply. The mere threat to close the strait raised the cost of a barrel of oil by almost a dollar.

When a leader threatens to choke the world of 20 percent of its oil supply, he is not sane. Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, is no less erratic. We cannot allow such irrational leaders to wield nuclear weapons.

Contrary to other nuclear-armed countries like North Korea, Iran would have no check on its power. The United States and many allies across the world agree that Iran is engaging in nefarious activities. The U.S. and the European Union have passed multilateral sanctions against Iran in attempts to get it to halt its quest for nuclear proliferation but to no avail.

I paid $4.04 per gallon at the pump last week. How much will gas be with a nuclear-armed Iran?

A nuclear Iran will create political instability in the Middle East and with instability comes a rise in oil prices. The cost of every product transported in America is dependent upon oil prices. This is what I am worried about. Not being bombed, but being economically choked.

The United States needs to send Iran a stronger message. Iran must know that if they develop the capability to become nuclear-armed, the United States will retaliate with overwhelming force.

The longevity of our economy depends on it.

Vincent Foster is a senior majoring in political science and philosophy. He is the former president of the UM College Republicans.

Vincent Foster

9 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Iran may economically choke U.S.”

1. simply amazed says:

I guess anyone can write at this University. You are aware that oil prices are determined by speculators? I got you an easy link to read up on it.

http://useconomy.about.com/od/commoditiesmarketfaq/f/oil_prices.htm

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/12/27/iran-well-stop-the-flow-of-gulf-oil-if-sanctions-are-imposed/

2. Rob says:

Well if you feel this strongly about disarming Iran, THEN WHY DON’T YOU JOIN THE MILITARY AND RISK YOUR LIFE FOR THIS CAUSE?

3. Kyle Bedu says:

I agree that a nuclear armed Iran would be disruptive (although not as disruptive as a preventative strike), but closing the straights of Hormuz would create a worldwide backlash against Iran, as well as hurt Iran’s economy. I’m skeptical that they would perform such an operation without being coerced into doing so by American military action.

4. Jordan says:

INS Major, if you are going to talk like an expert on Iran, calling Iran an Arab country is not a good start. Poverty and the like are problems to this country, but so is Iran, who have attempted assassinations on US soil, and through its proxies, killed thousands of innocent men, women, and children, including hundreds of Marines in Beirut. Energy is still a critical part of the US economy. We should invest in green energy, but oil is still important in the present. And you don’t represent liberals well. Drop this Alex Jones/Ron Paul conspiracy theory crap and get down to the main issues. Iran is trying to become the major power in the Middle East, and one with a nuclear presence. For the world’s safety, Iran must be neutralized. The EU and the US have already passed crippling sanctions against its petrochemical industry. A nuclear Iran is SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE.

5. INS Major says:

CLEARLY you are not an INS major. Do a little research and you’ll find that you are the one wearing the tin-foil hat. Google “Israel Lobby” and “AIPAC,” or even watch a documentary called “Selling the War.” This might be a good starting place for you to understand the level of corporate and political interest that goes into our government and foreign diplomacy.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/btw/watch.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Israel_Public_Affairs_Committee

6. NOT AN INS MAJOR says:

Watch out we’ve got an INS major here! I’m sure you have learned a lot from your Tuesday and Thursday PolySci classes. Thank you for enlightening us with your vast knowledge of how the world works.

I stopped reading after #1. Seriously, take off your tin-foil hat and get a grip. There’s no Israeli/American/Corporate conspiracy going on. While I certainly don’t support engaging Iran, I can’t stand reading comments like yours that just make the left look like a conspiracy theorists.

:)

7. INS Major says:

I have to disagree with everything you have just said.

1.) Stop watching Fox News Channel. Your arguments are literally direct quotes from the talking heads and neo-conservative lobbyists. The rhetoric you repeat is propaganda created by the Israeli lobby, oil companies, and war-profiteering corporations.

2.) Why should we start ANOTHER preemptive war with ANOTHER Arab country? STUPID.

3.) You don’t have to buy gasoline. There are other ways to travel around. We don’t need anymore innocent, young Americans dying over oil. The gas we pump into our tanks is actually the blood of innocent people that has been spilled for $$$.

4.) Iran is NOT a threat to the United States. Our economy, education system, stagnant government, poverty, homelessness, and infrastructure (just to name a few) are the biggest threats facing this country.

5.) If you look at a map, Iran shares borders with Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan; all countries that have been militarized by the United States. Our military is the true provoker in this situation. They feel threatened that the United States is closing in (which one could argue is true). Because the Iranian military could not defeat an American military invasion, a nuclear weapon gives the Iranians the security they need to sleep at night.

8. jon says:

“A nuclear Iran will create political instability in the Middle East and with instability comes a rise in oil prices.”

No, bombing Iran and starting a prolonged war will create political instability in the Middle East

9. Kevin says:

But, Ahmadinejad’s threat to close the Strait of Hormuz did not come on a random whim. It was a direct response to US threats to bomb their country.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...