Staff Editorial 4/23: Don’t judge food by its labels

In recent years there has been a trend toward healthier eating habits, especially among the college crowd. Restaurants are promoting healthier options on their menu and this can also be noticed on UM’s campus.

Being conscientious of your food intake is important, but you should not be so quick to believe something is healthy just because it is placed under “light menu” options. If you take a moment to browse through the nutrition facts of some “healthier meals,” you’d be shocked at the results.

On campus, most students grab a bite to eat at the Hurricane Food Court, Subway or Starbucks. They may think that ordering the healthier alternatives on the menu may meet the standards of the trending health craze, but this is not the case.

Students who are in a hurry but don’t want a greasy burger swear by the Garden Sensations salad option at Wendy’s. Many order the popular Baja Salad, which contains 730 calories, 1,920 milligrams of sodium, and 47 grams of fat. This does not include a soft drink or a Frosty for those looking to satisfy their sweet tooth.

For students who stroll through the School of Law, Subway is another popular location that claims to be healthy. However, eating fresh does not mean eating right. A foot-long tuna sandwich, which is one of the healthier subs on their menu, contains 940 calories, 48 grams of fat, and 1,240 milligrams of sodium.

We can’t forget to mention Starbucks, a typical hot spot for students to purchase a snack between classes or during a long night of studying.

A cheese and fruit box from Starbucks contains 480 calories, 28 grams of fat, and 470 milligrams of sodium. If you pair that with the scrumptious grande white chocolate mocha, you’ll have to add another 470 calories, 18 grams of fat, and 260 milligrams of sodium. And that’s just a snack.

All of these food options seem healthy because it is assumed that having salad, nonfat milk and fruit means you’re eating well, but that is not entirely true. Although college students lead busy lives, they should take a few minutes out of the day to research the nutritional facts of the food they’re eating.

What you choose to eat now will affect your health later. Don’t wait until it is too late to make the right choice.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...