Staff Editorial 4/23: Don’t judge food by its labels

In recent years there has been a trend toward healthier eating habits, especially among the college crowd. Restaurants are promoting healthier options on their menu and this can also be noticed on UM’s campus.

Being conscientious of your food intake is important, but you should not be so quick to believe something is healthy just because it is placed under “light menu” options. If you take a moment to browse through the nutrition facts of some “healthier meals,” you’d be shocked at the results.

On campus, most students grab a bite to eat at the Hurricane Food Court, Subway or Starbucks. They may think that ordering the healthier alternatives on the menu may meet the standards of the trending health craze, but this is not the case.

Students who are in a hurry but don’t want a greasy burger swear by the Garden Sensations salad option at Wendy’s. Many order the popular Baja Salad, which contains 730 calories, 1,920 milligrams of sodium, and 47 grams of fat. This does not include a soft drink or a Frosty for those looking to satisfy their sweet tooth.

For students who stroll through the School of Law, Subway is another popular location that claims to be healthy. However, eating fresh does not mean eating right. A foot-long tuna sandwich, which is one of the healthier subs on their menu, contains 940 calories, 48 grams of fat, and 1,240 milligrams of sodium.

We can’t forget to mention Starbucks, a typical hot spot for students to purchase a snack between classes or during a long night of studying.

A cheese and fruit box from Starbucks contains 480 calories, 28 grams of fat, and 470 milligrams of sodium. If you pair that with the scrumptious grande white chocolate mocha, you’ll have to add another 470 calories, 18 grams of fat, and 260 milligrams of sodium. And that’s just a snack.

All of these food options seem healthy because it is assumed that having salad, nonfat milk and fruit means you’re eating well, but that is not entirely true. Although college students lead busy lives, they should take a few minutes out of the day to research the nutritional facts of the food they’re eating.

What you choose to eat now will affect your health later. Don’t wait until it is too late to make the right choice.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.