News Briefs – 4/23

Florida Habitat

On May 2 at 7 p.m. in Room 166 of the Cox Science Center, Steve Woodmansee, biologist and president of the Florida Native Plant Society, will discuss one of Florida’s most sensitive ecosystems, the pine rockland. For more information, visit bio.miami.edu/arboretum/Calendar.html.

Biology Seminar

Michigan State Assistant Professor C. Titus Brown will present a lecture called “Genomics Without a Reference – Dealing with Sequence Data from Ecologically and Evolutionary Interesting Organisms”  on Monday, in Room 166 of the Cox Science Center, at 12:20 p.m. For more information, email Bill Browne at wbrowne@bio.miami.edu.

Finals Fiesta

Hurricane Productions in partnership with Canes Night Live, Multicultrual Student Affairs, Alliance of Latin American Students and the Filipino Students Association will host Finals Fiesta on Friday from 6 to 9 p.m. at Stanford Circle and the Rock. For more information, visit hurricaneproductions.org.

Alumni Reception

The Alumni Association will honor upcoming graduates and present them with lifetime memberships on Wednesday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Newman Alumni Center. To reserve your seat, call 305-284-2872 or email alumni@miami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...