Baseball, Sports

Baseball team swept by FSU

Miami nearly avoided a sweep at the hands of Florida State this past weekend, but EJ Encinosa couldn’t extend Sunday’s game past the 10th inning.

With the game tied at 7-7 in the bottom of the 10th, there were two runners on and one out.

Encinosa allowed a base hit to Sherman Johnson, scoring Giovanny Alfonzo for the walk off win.

With Peter O’Brien out with a hairline fracture in his wrist, Miami needed its pitching and defense to be top notch against the second-ranked Seminoles. They weren’t.

On Friday night, Eric Erickson went five innings, allowing nine hits and six runs – all earned. The bullpen didn’t fair much better and Miami was blown out 11-2.

On Saturday, Eric Whaley was undone by an error-filled second inning that saw Florida State score four runs, only one of which was earned.

After allowing the leadoff batter to reach on a base hit, Whaley got Jose Brizuela to hit a grounder to first base, but a throwing error from freshman Esteban Tresgallo prevented a potential double play and both runners were safe.

A balk, a walk and a base hit followed, scoring two. Runners advanced on a throwing error from Dale Carey, and two sacrifice flies later the Seminoles had a 4-0 lead, and would go on to win 6-1.

The sweep marked the second time this season that the Canes failed to win a game against an in-state rival ranked in the top five.

Miami was swept by the top-ranked Florida Gators at the beginning of March, a three-game set that also ended in Sunday heartbreak, with Encinosa blowing a save and a two-run lead in the top of the ninth.

Adam Berger may be contacted at aberger@themiamihurricane.com.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

One by one, they stepped up to the scale. First-round picks and long-shot prospects alike. Here, the ...

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

Miami Northwestern senior Nigel Bethel, a 5-11, 160-pounder who chose the Hurricanes over Central Fl ...

The University of Louisville coaching staff must have been puzzled watching tape of the Miami Hurric ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Miami men's basketball team returns home at 8 p.m. Wednesday to battle Louisville at the so ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team has earned the first ACC Player of the ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on fourth-ranked Louisville Thursday at 11 a.m., on ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...