Baseball, Sports

Baseball team swept by FSU

Miami nearly avoided a sweep at the hands of Florida State this past weekend, but EJ Encinosa couldn’t extend Sunday’s game past the 10th inning.

With the game tied at 7-7 in the bottom of the 10th, there were two runners on and one out.

Encinosa allowed a base hit to Sherman Johnson, scoring Giovanny Alfonzo for the walk off win.

With Peter O’Brien out with a hairline fracture in his wrist, Miami needed its pitching and defense to be top notch against the second-ranked Seminoles. They weren’t.

On Friday night, Eric Erickson went five innings, allowing nine hits and six runs – all earned. The bullpen didn’t fair much better and Miami was blown out 11-2.

On Saturday, Eric Whaley was undone by an error-filled second inning that saw Florida State score four runs, only one of which was earned.

After allowing the leadoff batter to reach on a base hit, Whaley got Jose Brizuela to hit a grounder to first base, but a throwing error from freshman Esteban Tresgallo prevented a potential double play and both runners were safe.

A balk, a walk and a base hit followed, scoring two. Runners advanced on a throwing error from Dale Carey, and two sacrifice flies later the Seminoles had a 4-0 lead, and would go on to win 6-1.

The sweep marked the second time this season that the Canes failed to win a game against an in-state rival ranked in the top five.

Miami was swept by the top-ranked Florida Gators at the beginning of March, a three-game set that also ended in Sunday heartbreak, with Encinosa blowing a save and a two-run lead in the top of the ninth.

Adam Berger may be contacted at aberger@themiamihurricane.com.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...