Baseball, Sports

Baseball team swept by FSU

Miami nearly avoided a sweep at the hands of Florida State this past weekend, but EJ Encinosa couldn’t extend Sunday’s game past the 10th inning.

With the game tied at 7-7 in the bottom of the 10th, there were two runners on and one out.

Encinosa allowed a base hit to Sherman Johnson, scoring Giovanny Alfonzo for the walk off win.

With Peter O’Brien out with a hairline fracture in his wrist, Miami needed its pitching and defense to be top notch against the second-ranked Seminoles. They weren’t.

On Friday night, Eric Erickson went five innings, allowing nine hits and six runs – all earned. The bullpen didn’t fair much better and Miami was blown out 11-2.

On Saturday, Eric Whaley was undone by an error-filled second inning that saw Florida State score four runs, only one of which was earned.

After allowing the leadoff batter to reach on a base hit, Whaley got Jose Brizuela to hit a grounder to first base, but a throwing error from freshman Esteban Tresgallo prevented a potential double play and both runners were safe.

A balk, a walk and a base hit followed, scoring two. Runners advanced on a throwing error from Dale Carey, and two sacrifice flies later the Seminoles had a 4-0 lead, and would go on to win 6-1.

The sweep marked the second time this season that the Canes failed to win a game against an in-state rival ranked in the top five.

Miami was swept by the top-ranked Florida Gators at the beginning of March, a three-game set that also ended in Sunday heartbreak, with Encinosa blowing a save and a two-run lead in the top of the ninth.

Adam Berger may be contacted at aberger@themiamihurricane.com.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...