Hurricane Productions closes out the semester with special events

With finals approaching, students looking to get away from the end-of-the-year crunch can look forward to the last on-campus events of the semester.

Hurricane Productions, UM’s events programming board and source for free entertainment, will offer activities including the annual Canes Carnival and two relaxation days.

Pierre-Richard Gautier, the chair of Canes Night Live (CNL), said that although the semester is coming to a close, CNL is actually most active this time of year.

“It is going to be a fun and busy few weeks,” he said.

At the annual Canes Carnival, students can expect rides, giveaways, food and performances. It will take place Friday from 8 p.m. to midnight.

“The carnival was the perfect end to my semester last year,” sophomore Katherine Jordan said. “All of my friends and I have been talking about going again this year because last year, it was such a blast.”

During the last week of school, CNL will be co-sponsoring Finals Fiesta with Multicultural Student Affairs. Beyond the usual food trucks, games and prizes, CNL is introducing a new aspect called Silent Headphone Disco.

“Students can sign out headphones to listen to one of two DJs present but there will be no music playing out loud,” Gautier said.

On April 30, a Special Events relaxation day will feature water massage booths and free ice cream. The Rathskeller Advisory Board is also hosting a relaxation day at the Rat, with stress ball giveaways and an oxygen bar, on April 26.

Closing up the semester, the Cinematic Arts Commission will host the last movie showing, as well as the final Patio Jams performance, which HP Chair Shannon Bartlett said will be interesting because they won’t be able to use the patio next year.

“We don’t know what’s going to happen with Patio Jams since they are starting construction on the patio right after school ends,” Bartlett said.

Ally Maass

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...