Sports Briefs 4-19

Women’s Basketball

The Miami women’s basketball program had two of its players selected in the WNBA Draft on Monday. Seniors Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams were  taken with the fifth and 17th picks, respectively. Johnson, who ended her collegiate career as only the second player in NCAA Division I history to collect 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds, 500 steals and 400 assists, was drafted by the San Antonio Silver Stars.

Williams, who was taken by the Tulsa Shock, ended her career fifth in Hurricanes history with 2,148 points scored, including 272 3-point shots made, 104 more than the next closest Cane.

The duo becomes the first pair of teammates taken in the WNBA Draft in program history. It is also the first time since 2006 that a Hurricane player was drafted, the last being Tamara James.

Men’s Tennis

After closing out the regular season this past week, the men’s tennis team is headed for the ACC Tournament in Cary, N.C. The No. 63 Hurricanes will face the No. 29 Florida State Seminoles in the first round of the tournament on Thursday at noon.

Miami faced off against Florida State earlier in the season, with the Seminoles coming away with a 6-1 victory at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The winner of the match will then face Virginia Tech on Friday at noon.

Women’s Tennis

Coming off two straight wins over Virginia and Virginia Tech, the women’s tennis team is set to compete in the ACC Tournament this weekend. The team, seeded third – just behind Duke and North Carolina – earned a bye for Thursday’s first round. The Hurricanes will face the winner of Thursday’s matchup between Georgia Tech and Maryland on Friday beginning at 3 p.m. If the Canes are able to advance, they will play again in the semifinal on Saturday afternoon before the championship match on Sunday. Following the ACC Tournament, the team will compete in the NCAA Regionals beginning May 11.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...