News Briefs 4/16

Memorial Service

A memorial service for School of Communication (SoC) professor Stanley Harrison will be held from 3 to 4 p.m. on Thursday at the SoC Reading Room located in the main lobby of the Wolfson building.

In lieu of flowers, donations for the S.L. Harrison Memorial Scholarship Fund will be accepted. The fund will aid SoC students in financial need. Send checks payable to the University of Miami to 5100 Brunson Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33146. On the check or letter, indicate that the funds are meant to benefit the S.L. Harrison Memorial Scholarship Fund.

History Lecture

The Department of History Speakers Series presents “The Year of the Lash: Free People of Color in Cuba and the Nineteenth-Century Atlantic World.” Michelle Reid-Vazquez, an assistant professor of history at Georgia State University, will discuss her book on Monday from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. in the Richter Library’s third-floor conference room.

Town Hall

Updates on the Student Center Complex construction will be shared at a town hall meeting hosted by Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, and Dan Westbrook, the director of the University Center. Topics will include renovations to the UC Patio and construction of a new stage, current UC renovations, and an updated timeline on the Student Activities Center construction. The meeting will be held on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. in the UC I-Lounge.

Tunnel of Oppression
Tunnel of Oppression will run from Monday through Wednesday in the UC Ballrooms from 4 to 10 p.m. Tours run approximately every 20 minutes. There are 10 rooms with the following themes: Tools of Oppression, Classism, Religion, Human Trafficking, Education, Sexual Assault, Gender, Body Image Issues, Racism, LGBTQ, and Disability Issues. It will challenge your thoughts and perceptions surrounding different social injustices. Opportunities to get involved addressing some of the issues seen in Tunnel will be highlighted following the experience. For more information, email umtunnel@gmail.com.

Scholarships

Learn about applying for major fellowships for graduate study in the United Kingdom and Ireland Gates Cambridge Scholar Shamsher Samra. The Director of the Office of Prestigious Awards and Fellowships, Kefryn Reese, will give a short presentation on the selection criteria and application processes for the Rhodes, Marshall, UK Fulbright, Gates Cambridge and Mitchell Scholarships. Tea and scones will be served. The event will take place on Monday from 4 to 6 p.m. in the Stanford Master’s Apartment. RSVP at prestigiousawards@miami.edu.

4The Office of Prestigious Awards and Fellowships is holding an information session for students who are considering applying for the Truman Scholarship. The session will take place on Wednesday from 2 to 3 p.m in UC Room 245. This scholarship is for those who are interested in improving the ways that government agencies, nonprofit organizations, or educational institutions serve the public. It provides up to $30,000 in funding to students pursuing graduate degrees in public service fields.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...