Library provides new study niche for graduate students

Graduate students now have their own study space at Richter Library.

The new Graduate Study Room is now open on the second floor of the library.

Located on the northwest corner of the second floor of Richter, the study room contains 22 individual study cubicles, for which a carrel study key can be checked out daily at the Richter Circulation Desk.

The study room aims to provide a place for individual quiet study, and is not meant to be a place for working on collaborative projects.

According to Graduate Student Association (GSA) President Amanda Price, the project was started in late 2010 and was based on student’s demand for a designated area to study and complete their work.

Most of the graduate departments within UM do not provide offices or individual workspaces for their students, Price said. Richter, a popular place for on-campus studying, fills up rather quickly, forcing students to find an alternate, more peaceful place to work.

“I have often wasted more time trying to find somewhere to study than actually studying, which is infuriating,” said Elam Ramasamy, a chemistry graduate student.

As a result of student complaints, GSA passed a formal resolution requesting for an exclusive study space in Richter.

“This is important because graduate students, especially those writing their master’s thesis or on the writing phase of their dissertation, need extended periods of quiet isolated time to write and they don’t all have that at home,” said Scott Britton, the director of access services at Richter.

In the future, the room will offer mixed seating areas and lockers.

“This is very much a work in progress,” Britton said. “We need the feedback from everyone as this develops and we will be able to create a space that is ideal for graduate students.”

The room can only be accessed with a Cane Card. However, law students and medical students do not have access to the room.

Karla Durango

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...