Spend money on entertainment rather than steal others’ work

I went to the library recently to rent a movie I have been trying to watch for a while. I have been told “A Beautiful Mind” is phenomenal, and I thought to myself, “Why not?”
When I saw it was missing from the shelf, I went to the front desk. The library assistant was a young male, probably in his early 20s, leaning back in his chair behind the desk.
“Just get it off the Internet dude,” he said.
“That’s illegal,” I replied.
He just laughed in response. He thought I was kidding, until he really looked at me and saw the expression in my eyes. What did he take me for?
“Wait, are you serious?”
“Yeah,” I said.
Without a peg-leg, gold tooth and parrot, do I look like a pirate to you?
“Wow. I mean, it doesn’t even matter, it’s not like they don’t make any money. How do you get music? You pay for that too?” he asked with contempt.
“Yeah, or I listen to the radio, where I know the musician gets royalties for their work.  There’s no such thing as a free song,” I said in reply and walked away.
I wasn’t able to watch the movie I wanted and I was OK with that. Who am I to steal someone’s work? I’m not a thief.
Since when is it OK to take something without paying for it? It does not matter if the musician is filthy rich. That is their work. They spent time and money to create their product.
I need to spend money to reap the fruits of their labor.

Edward Burns is a freshman majoring in political science and broadcast journalism.

Edward Burns

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...