News Briefs 4/9

Media

Clay Cane, an award-winning writer and media consultant, will give a presentation at the Lowe Art Museum on Wednesday 5 p.m. There will also be an informal reception at the Lowe, beginning at 4:30 p.m. It is sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences, the Unity in Diversity program, the program in women’s and gender studies, and the new LGBTQ studies minor.

Interviewing

Students can prepare for upcoming interviews by attending the Interviewing Skills session at the Toppel Career Center on Monday at 3:30 p.m. The workshop will cover how to prepare for an interview, questions that interviewers ask, and the most effective ways to follow-up. Toppel advisors will also provide an introduction to networking and salary negotiation. This program is required for students participating in on-campus interviews.

Student Orgs

All student organizations must re-register with the Committee on Student Organizations in order to remain an active organization for 2012-2013. To re-register, login to the COSO database at miami.edu/myumgroups, click on the ‘Register’ link, and follow the steps. The form must be completed by a student officer of the organization, not an adviser, by Friday at 5 p.m. Call or email your COSO liaison, or stop by the Smith-Tucker Involvement Center (UC 209) if you have any questions.

Film Lecture

Academy Award-winning producer Jon Landau will discuss producing two of the highest grossing movies of all times, “Avatar” and “Titanic.” He will also show clips from “Titanic 3D.” The event takes place Monday at 6:30 p.m. in Shoma Hall (CIB 3053). Admission is free and open to the public.

Frisbee

The Wellness Center’s Ultimate Frisbee Tournament will be held on Saturday. The deadline to register for the tournament is Wednesday. A $20 fee per team is due at the time of registration. To sign up, go to room 210 of the Wellness Center. For more information, call 305-284-8501 or email tsoria@miami.edu.

Cooking

Join Chef Mercedes for a San Francisco-style cooking class. The class is April 18 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Wellness Center classrooms. The cost is $20 for UM students and Wellness Center members, and $25 for non-members. To register, call 305-284-5433.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.