Counseling Center to welcome new director

Courtesy Ernesto Escoto

Ernesto Escoto will assume his new role as director of the UM Counseling Center on July 1.

“I’m very much looking forward to working with the staff at the Counseling Center as well as the faculty and staff of the University of Miami, and to have an opportunity to serve students,” he said.

A native of El Salvador, Escoto has a Ph.D. in counseling psychology and currently serves as the associate director of clinical services at Ohio State University.

He is considered an expert in mental health issues within the Hispanic community, and often works closely with international students. At Ohio State, Escoto co-chaired the International Student Life Task Force and has served as an advisor to the Hispanic Student Services Council.

In July, Escoto’s first steps will be to get know his new staff.

“The first thing I want to do is to get to know the staff at the center and throughout the university,” he said. “I want to work together with them to strengthen the relationships and collaboration between the units at the university so they can better serve the needs of the students and other departments.”

Escoto then hopes to have the Counseling Center accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services and to create an accredited internship program for psychology students through the Counseling Center.

“I would like to understand the experience of all students, and then take that information and turn it into strategies to meet their needs,” he said.

Isabel Brador

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...