Professor reviews deserve bigger impact

Over the course of their academic careers, some students encounter the same scheduling dilemma: take a required class with a professor who has consistently poor ratings or rearrange your schedule in order to take that class with the better professor.

Every semester, students are asked to complete teacher evaluations with the incentive of having access to early grade viewing. The criteria of the evaluation include professors’ friendliness, presentation of material, willingness to meet with students, and whether course objectives were met.

Students complete these evaluations with certain expectations. They feel that the completion of this form will allow their thoughts to be heard and acted upon. But when the same professors continue teaching after receiving extremely bad reviews, it is disappointing.

Although students undoubtedly appreciate professors’ efforts and value their expertise, there are many times when teachers’ techniques fall short.

Currently, student reviews aren’t the only factor in evaluating instructors’ overall performance.  According to Thomas LeBlanc, executive vice president and provost at the University of Miami, students’ evaluations are taken into account, as are classroom sit-ins by senior colleagues and department chair evaluations.

Student evaluations largely impact the tenure process, which allows instructors to secure their positions at the university. But most importantly, student reviews affect other students’ opinions when they choose classes.

But students want to have a more impactful say in which professors truly benefit their education. When students are forced to take a class with a  professor who has poor reviews, the UM experience becomes less meaningful. A bad instructor could even potentially discourage a student from pursuing their goals or a particular major. Students deserve the best education possible.

It is disheartening to hear that UM is considered the No. 1 university in Florida according to U.S. News and World Report, but not one professor from UM is listed on the Princeton Review’s list of the 300 best professors in the U.S. In contrast, three professors from the University of Florida made the list.

But until student opinion impacts the quality of professors who teach classes at UM, students should continue to make their voices heard by completing honest evaluations offered by UM, as well as Ratemyprofessors.com and other similar websites.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami diving team enjoyed a strong first day of competition at the University of T ...

For the fourth time in eight months, Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team is taking part in a U. ...