The All-American Rejects mature, impress through fourth album

The title of The All-American Rejects’ fourth album, “Kids in the Street,” doesn’t appropriately describe the record. The rock band has ditched their youthful catchy tunes for mature and emotional ballads.

Even the up-tempo tracks, like “Someday’s Gone,” “Beekeeper’s Daughter” (which features a horn section) and “Fast and Slow,” show that the Rejects are past their teenage-punk phase. Those first three tracks are the only lively ones on the record; ballads dominate “Kids in the Street” after “Fast and Slow.”

Lead guitarist Nick Wheeler and lead singer Tyson Ritter, who have composed and written all of the Rejects’ albums, once again made every track just as memorable. “Affection” and “Heartbeat Slowing Down” show just how strong Ritter’s vocals are, which is something previous albums didn’t really accomplish.

Although it was an unexpected variation in style, the Oklahoma rockers made the experimental changes work. The up-tempo songs take you back to ‘80s rock and the ballads truly dig deep into Wheeler and Ritter’s thoughts and the Rejects’ sound. Nothing is left unsaid or untouched.

It’s been four years since the band’s last album, “When the World Comes Down,” but “Kids in the Street” was worth the wait. Without a doubt, it is the Rejects’ best album yet.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...