The All-American Rejects mature, impress through fourth album

The title of The All-American Rejects’ fourth album, “Kids in the Street,” doesn’t appropriately describe the record. The rock band has ditched their youthful catchy tunes for mature and emotional ballads.

Even the up-tempo tracks, like “Someday’s Gone,” “Beekeeper’s Daughter” (which features a horn section) and “Fast and Slow,” show that the Rejects are past their teenage-punk phase. Those first three tracks are the only lively ones on the record; ballads dominate “Kids in the Street” after “Fast and Slow.”

Lead guitarist Nick Wheeler and lead singer Tyson Ritter, who have composed and written all of the Rejects’ albums, once again made every track just as memorable. “Affection” and “Heartbeat Slowing Down” show just how strong Ritter’s vocals are, which is something previous albums didn’t really accomplish.

Although it was an unexpected variation in style, the Oklahoma rockers made the experimental changes work. The up-tempo songs take you back to ‘80s rock and the ballads truly dig deep into Wheeler and Ritter’s thoughts and the Rejects’ sound. Nothing is left unsaid or untouched.

It’s been four years since the band’s last album, “When the World Comes Down,” but “Kids in the Street” was worth the wait. Without a doubt, it is the Rejects’ best album yet.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...