Sports Briefs 4/2

Football

Following the two  scrimmages that have been open to the public, the football team will hold its last open session of the spring with the spring game on April 14. The event will be held at Sun Life Stadium beginning at 2 p.m., although stadium gates will open at 11:30 a.m. The event is free to the public and there will be no charge for parking at the stadium. The event will also feature an autograph session and opportunities to purchase season tickets for the 2012 season.

Baseball

The Hurricanes were able to take advantage of a three-run seventh inning to take Sunday afternoon’s contest against the Clemson Tigers 4-2, but it was not enough to win what would have been their fourth consecutive ACC series in a row to start conference play. On Sunday, Steven Ewing gave up one run while striking out five in 5 2/3 innings pitched en route to a non-decision. After Clemson took the 2-1 lead, a Dale Carey double and Stephen Perez triple in the seventh gave Miami their first lead of the weekend. After E.J. Encinosa walked two in the eighth, Eric Nedeljkovic came in relief to finish the final two innings, picking up the save in the process.

On Friday night, the offense struggled against the Tigers, recording only one run on four hits while striking out 13 times in a 3-1 loss. The Tigers scored quickly in the first, and after Jarred Mederos was able to drive in Esteban Tresgallo in the second inning to tie things up at 1-1, the offense could not muster any runs.

Saturday was much of the same for Miami, with Clemson getting off to a quick start once again and the Canes unable to muster enough offense to fight back in a 3-1 loss that also featured three errors by UM.

Miami will return to Coral Gables to take on the No.19 UCF Knights on Wednesday night. The Canes traveled up to Orlando earlier this year, where they escaped with a 3-2 win. They will then take on the No.4 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels over the weekend. Each game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or on wvum.org.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...