Sports Briefs 4/2

Football

Following the two  scrimmages that have been open to the public, the football team will hold its last open session of the spring with the spring game on April 14. The event will be held at Sun Life Stadium beginning at 2 p.m., although stadium gates will open at 11:30 a.m. The event is free to the public and there will be no charge for parking at the stadium. The event will also feature an autograph session and opportunities to purchase season tickets for the 2012 season.

Baseball

The Hurricanes were able to take advantage of a three-run seventh inning to take Sunday afternoon’s contest against the Clemson Tigers 4-2, but it was not enough to win what would have been their fourth consecutive ACC series in a row to start conference play. On Sunday, Steven Ewing gave up one run while striking out five in 5 2/3 innings pitched en route to a non-decision. After Clemson took the 2-1 lead, a Dale Carey double and Stephen Perez triple in the seventh gave Miami their first lead of the weekend. After E.J. Encinosa walked two in the eighth, Eric Nedeljkovic came in relief to finish the final two innings, picking up the save in the process.

On Friday night, the offense struggled against the Tigers, recording only one run on four hits while striking out 13 times in a 3-1 loss. The Tigers scored quickly in the first, and after Jarred Mederos was able to drive in Esteban Tresgallo in the second inning to tie things up at 1-1, the offense could not muster any runs.

Saturday was much of the same for Miami, with Clemson getting off to a quick start once again and the Canes unable to muster enough offense to fight back in a 3-1 loss that also featured three errors by UM.

Miami will return to Coral Gables to take on the No.19 UCF Knights on Wednesday night. The Canes traveled up to Orlando earlier this year, where they escaped with a 3-2 win. They will then take on the No.4 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels over the weekend. Each game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or on wvum.org.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...