Sports Briefs 4/2

Football

Following the two  scrimmages that have been open to the public, the football team will hold its last open session of the spring with the spring game on April 14. The event will be held at Sun Life Stadium beginning at 2 p.m., although stadium gates will open at 11:30 a.m. The event is free to the public and there will be no charge for parking at the stadium. The event will also feature an autograph session and opportunities to purchase season tickets for the 2012 season.

Baseball

The Hurricanes were able to take advantage of a three-run seventh inning to take Sunday afternoon’s contest against the Clemson Tigers 4-2, but it was not enough to win what would have been their fourth consecutive ACC series in a row to start conference play. On Sunday, Steven Ewing gave up one run while striking out five in 5 2/3 innings pitched en route to a non-decision. After Clemson took the 2-1 lead, a Dale Carey double and Stephen Perez triple in the seventh gave Miami their first lead of the weekend. After E.J. Encinosa walked two in the eighth, Eric Nedeljkovic came in relief to finish the final two innings, picking up the save in the process.

On Friday night, the offense struggled against the Tigers, recording only one run on four hits while striking out 13 times in a 3-1 loss. The Tigers scored quickly in the first, and after Jarred Mederos was able to drive in Esteban Tresgallo in the second inning to tie things up at 1-1, the offense could not muster any runs.

Saturday was much of the same for Miami, with Clemson getting off to a quick start once again and the Canes unable to muster enough offense to fight back in a 3-1 loss that also featured three errors by UM.

Miami will return to Coral Gables to take on the No.19 UCF Knights on Wednesday night. The Canes traveled up to Orlando earlier this year, where they escaped with a 3-2 win. They will then take on the No.4 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels over the weekend. Each game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or on wvum.org.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...