Sports Briefs 4/2

Football

Following the two  scrimmages that have been open to the public, the football team will hold its last open session of the spring with the spring game on April 14. The event will be held at Sun Life Stadium beginning at 2 p.m., although stadium gates will open at 11:30 a.m. The event is free to the public and there will be no charge for parking at the stadium. The event will also feature an autograph session and opportunities to purchase season tickets for the 2012 season.

Baseball

The Hurricanes were able to take advantage of a three-run seventh inning to take Sunday afternoon’s contest against the Clemson Tigers 4-2, but it was not enough to win what would have been their fourth consecutive ACC series in a row to start conference play. On Sunday, Steven Ewing gave up one run while striking out five in 5 2/3 innings pitched en route to a non-decision. After Clemson took the 2-1 lead, a Dale Carey double and Stephen Perez triple in the seventh gave Miami their first lead of the weekend. After E.J. Encinosa walked two in the eighth, Eric Nedeljkovic came in relief to finish the final two innings, picking up the save in the process.

On Friday night, the offense struggled against the Tigers, recording only one run on four hits while striking out 13 times in a 3-1 loss. The Tigers scored quickly in the first, and after Jarred Mederos was able to drive in Esteban Tresgallo in the second inning to tie things up at 1-1, the offense could not muster any runs.

Saturday was much of the same for Miami, with Clemson getting off to a quick start once again and the Canes unable to muster enough offense to fight back in a 3-1 loss that also featured three errors by UM.

Miami will return to Coral Gables to take on the No.19 UCF Knights on Wednesday night. The Canes traveled up to Orlando earlier this year, where they escaped with a 3-2 win. They will then take on the No.4 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels over the weekend. Each game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or on wvum.org.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — The coach of University of Miami’s next opponent, one of the youngest college foo ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clear Sunday, just minutes after stepping foot ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

With Hurricane Irma past them, the Hurricanes are fully focused on their matchup against Toledo on S ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...

Following a stretch of 17 days without a match due to Hurricane Irma, the Miami soccer team will be ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will have its fall season opener delayed by a week. ...