Distance shouldn’t hinder assistance

I was on Tumblr one evening and a post from a blog I follow caught my attention. The title of the post read, “Urgent Prayer Request,” and the content was upsetting.

The person that I follow is a Christian who lives in the Middle East. Over there, many people are trying to drive all Christians out of the area and make Islam the only religion that can be practiced. While Islam is prevelent in that part of the world, there is no reason that both religions shouldn’t be able to co-exisit.

Churches are being attacked and threatened in order to discourage their memebers from attending services. Many churches have either been banned, postponed, or driven under ground. Fellowshipping with other Christians is an important part of growing in their faith because it allows individuals to learn while helping as well. When a church is destroyed and divided, it becomes harder for people to keep their faith strong and alive. It also becomes harder to get the word out to the rest of the world about what is happening

Daniel Pipes, president of the Middle East Forum, said that the Islamic persecution of religious minorities is accuring charecteristics that are almost genocidal in one of his speeches. In the Bible, verse 5:10 of the book of Matthew says, “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” However, when you are in the middle of a crisis as Christians in the Middle East currently are, verses such as that one may not be at the forefront of ones mind.

Individuals need to step up and help those currently undergoing persecution. Location shouldn’t stop us from helping other human beings in their time of need.

Taylor Duckett

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...