Student activist selected for national fellowship

For Moroccan-born activist Samia Taoulost-Malik, selflessness runs in the family.

The Taoulost family left Morocco when she was young because her brother was born with Down Syndrome.

“[People with] Down Syndrome are ostracized in Morocco due to a lack of education,” said Taoulost-Malik, who is pursing a master’s degree in international administration at UM.

Ever since, her mother’s bold decision has inspired Taoulost-Malik to give back to her community. She was recently named a StartingBloc fellow. StartingBloc is an organization that helps social entrepreneurs solve global problems. Taoulost is best known for her work as a program manager at ReServe Miami.

“I am always amazed how she takes her work in strides,” said Dacia Steiner, a program director at ReServe Miami.

ReServe Miami is a national program designed to match continuing professionals with non-profit organizations that are in need of their skills. Taoulost-Malik works with “ReServists,” or program participants, to help them apply their lifetime experience to an organization that needs their expertise while acting as an asset to the community.

“I had one of the ReServists tell me that he was sitting at home waiting day after day to die,” she said. “I think ReServe gave him a purpose in his life knowing that he could contribute his skills made him feel productive.”

After she graduates, Taoulost-Malik hopes to help children with developmental disabilities start businesses.

Editor’s note: This story was edited on March 30, 2:15 p.m.

Saira Sumbal

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...