New Student Government Executive Board members make their way into office

On Wednesday, the new Student Government (SG) Executive Board members will assume their new posts.

Along with the members of Inspired by U, the Executive Board will be made up of five appointed positions, and two positions elected by Senate, along with representatives from Category 5, the Elections Commission, the Supreme Court, and the new ECO agency. The ECO agency will serve as a green advisory board.

“We’re trying to bring in some fresh blood,” incoming president Nawara Alawa said. “We want to make sure SG continues successfully for the next couple of years.”

Here’s a look at some of the new members of the Executive Board.

Chief of Staff

Junior Melissa Guller will serve as the chief of staff for the Inspired by U team. She previously served as the executive-in-large internal under the Taking U Forward administration.

Guller will be in charge of overseeing the SG advisory boards and various Executive Board initiatives. She will report directly to Alawa.

“I think the new officers have a lot of potential to lead us to an outstanding year,” Guller said.

Executive-at-Large External

Sophomore Bhumi Patel was appointed to the executive-at-large external position. She was previously the co-chair of the Dining Service Advisory Board and was a member of the President’s 100, and the Homecoming Executive Committee.

“I am excited to meet even more people as I work to accomplish all of our goals,” she said.

Patel’s role will be to respond to student concerns, and to connect SG with students and organizations.

“She has worked in a more behind the scenes role in SG,” Alawa said. “She has the dedication and the time to commit.”

Executive-at-Large Internal

Sophomore Michaela Hennessey will serve as the executive-at-large internal. She will be responsible for facilitating communication between the branches of SG and arranging SG-wide events.

“She can create the fluidity between exec board and the Senate,” Alawa said. “We want both halves of SG to be really strong.”

Hennessy has previously served as a executive secretary.

Press Secretary

Freshman AJ Ricketts was appointed as press secretary and will be responsible for promoting SG events and initiatives, and will serve as a liaison between the administration and the media.

“I’ve had the chance to meet with numerous administrators, work on projects with SG, and attain a solid background in media relations – all keys for the role of press secretary,” he said.

He previously served as a freshman senator.

Executive Secretary

Freshman Alessandria San Roman will serve as the executive secretary. She was previously a member of Cabinet.

“Ashley Taggart recommended her as one of the hardest working members of Cabinet,” Alawa said.

San Roman will be responsible for organizing meetings and working with the Executive Board to accomplish initiatives.

Speaker of the Senate

Junior Parker Barnett was elected by the Senate to the position of Speaker of the Senate. In this role, Parker will be in charge of Senate and will serve as a link between the Senate and the Executive Board. He has served in Senate for the past three years.

Speaker Pro-tempore 

Junior Douglas Aguililla was elected by the Senate to serve as the speaker pro-tempore. He will be responsible for running the senate committees and will act as ranking senator. He will also be in charge of appointing the four committee chairmen as well as the vice chairmen.

Aguililla has been involved in Student Government since his freshman year in Senate and Category 5.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...