New Student Government Executive Board members make their way into office

On Wednesday, the new Student Government (SG) Executive Board members will assume their new posts.

Along with the members of Inspired by U, the Executive Board will be made up of five appointed positions, and two positions elected by Senate, along with representatives from Category 5, the Elections Commission, the Supreme Court, and the new ECO agency. The ECO agency will serve as a green advisory board.

“We’re trying to bring in some fresh blood,” incoming president Nawara Alawa said. “We want to make sure SG continues successfully for the next couple of years.”

Here’s a look at some of the new members of the Executive Board.

Chief of Staff

Junior Melissa Guller will serve as the chief of staff for the Inspired by U team. She previously served as the executive-in-large internal under the Taking U Forward administration.

Guller will be in charge of overseeing the SG advisory boards and various Executive Board initiatives. She will report directly to Alawa.

“I think the new officers have a lot of potential to lead us to an outstanding year,” Guller said.

Executive-at-Large External

Sophomore Bhumi Patel was appointed to the executive-at-large external position. She was previously the co-chair of the Dining Service Advisory Board and was a member of the President’s 100, and the Homecoming Executive Committee.

“I am excited to meet even more people as I work to accomplish all of our goals,” she said.

Patel’s role will be to respond to student concerns, and to connect SG with students and organizations.

“She has worked in a more behind the scenes role in SG,” Alawa said. “She has the dedication and the time to commit.”

Executive-at-Large Internal

Sophomore Michaela Hennessey will serve as the executive-at-large internal. She will be responsible for facilitating communication between the branches of SG and arranging SG-wide events.

“She can create the fluidity between exec board and the Senate,” Alawa said. “We want both halves of SG to be really strong.”

Hennessy has previously served as a executive secretary.

Press Secretary

Freshman AJ Ricketts was appointed as press secretary and will be responsible for promoting SG events and initiatives, and will serve as a liaison between the administration and the media.

“I’ve had the chance to meet with numerous administrators, work on projects with SG, and attain a solid background in media relations – all keys for the role of press secretary,” he said.

He previously served as a freshman senator.

Executive Secretary

Freshman Alessandria San Roman will serve as the executive secretary. She was previously a member of Cabinet.

“Ashley Taggart recommended her as one of the hardest working members of Cabinet,” Alawa said.

San Roman will be responsible for organizing meetings and working with the Executive Board to accomplish initiatives.

Speaker of the Senate

Junior Parker Barnett was elected by the Senate to the position of Speaker of the Senate. In this role, Parker will be in charge of Senate and will serve as a link between the Senate and the Executive Board. He has served in Senate for the past three years.

Speaker Pro-tempore 

Junior Douglas Aguililla was elected by the Senate to serve as the speaker pro-tempore. He will be responsible for running the senate committees and will act as ranking senator. He will also be in charge of appointing the four committee chairmen as well as the vice chairmen.

Aguililla has been involved in Student Government since his freshman year in Senate and Category 5.

About Author

Alysha Khan Online Editor

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...