Staff Editorial 3/29: Haters hungry for attention

The latest literary trend made its way to the big screen  Friday. “The Hunger Games,” the first book in the popular trilogy written by Suzanne Collins, made a whopping $155-million in the box office in one weekend.

But the hype surrounding the movie subsided when angry fans found out that Rue, one of the tributes selected to participate in the death match, was black. Although Collins made it clear in the novel when she wrote, “She has dark brown skin and eyes,” the description apparently went unnoticed.

On several social media outlets like Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr, fans were outraged about the casting. A report on Jezebel.com featured several Twitter users who expressed their dismay, and Tweeted, “…call me racist but when I found out Rue was black, her death wasn’t as sad.” Another read: “Eww. Rue is black. I’m not watching.” And yet another read: “Why did the producers make the good characters black? Shake my head.” Still, a more insulting Tweet stated: “I was pumped about the Hunger Games. Until I learned that a black girl was playing Rue.”

Many more derogative comments were made about Rue’s character, but the aforementioned  statements prove the disgusting level of animosity.

Often, society employs social media as a platform to broadcast distasteful and hurtful messages.

If those Tweeters were face-to-face with Amandla Stenberg, the actress who plays Rue, they probably wouldn’t state their shameful opinions. And, if they did, they probably wouldn’t phrase it as they did in their Tweets. Hiding behind a computer screen isn’t any better. If you wouldn’t say it, don’t write it.

Our generation is unnervingly quick to pick up their smartphones and write the first thought that comes to mind via Tweets, status updates and mobile uploads. They either realize it’s offensive once its posted for the public to see, or really just don’t care. Either way, there’s a serious problem with these habits.

Social networks have made us all a bit rash. We feel like we’re entitled to say what we please without any repercussions, but fail to realize that our thoughts on the Internet are public and others have access to them.

We don’t need to vocalize every thought that comes to mind. Next time you’re about to publicize your opinions, remember you’re only hurting yourself. Once your words go viral, there is no turning back.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...