Staff Editorial 3/29: Haters hungry for attention

The latest literary trend made its way to the big screen  Friday. “The Hunger Games,” the first book in the popular trilogy written by Suzanne Collins, made a whopping $155-million in the box office in one weekend.

But the hype surrounding the movie subsided when angry fans found out that Rue, one of the tributes selected to participate in the death match, was black. Although Collins made it clear in the novel when she wrote, “She has dark brown skin and eyes,” the description apparently went unnoticed.

On several social media outlets like Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr, fans were outraged about the casting. A report on Jezebel.com featured several Twitter users who expressed their dismay, and Tweeted, “…call me racist but when I found out Rue was black, her death wasn’t as sad.” Another read: “Eww. Rue is black. I’m not watching.” And yet another read: “Why did the producers make the good characters black? Shake my head.” Still, a more insulting Tweet stated: “I was pumped about the Hunger Games. Until I learned that a black girl was playing Rue.”

Many more derogative comments were made about Rue’s character, but the aforementioned  statements prove the disgusting level of animosity.

Often, society employs social media as a platform to broadcast distasteful and hurtful messages.

If those Tweeters were face-to-face with Amandla Stenberg, the actress who plays Rue, they probably wouldn’t state their shameful opinions. And, if they did, they probably wouldn’t phrase it as they did in their Tweets. Hiding behind a computer screen isn’t any better. If you wouldn’t say it, don’t write it.

Our generation is unnervingly quick to pick up their smartphones and write the first thought that comes to mind via Tweets, status updates and mobile uploads. They either realize it’s offensive once its posted for the public to see, or really just don’t care. Either way, there’s a serious problem with these habits.

Social networks have made us all a bit rash. We feel like we’re entitled to say what we please without any repercussions, but fail to realize that our thoughts on the Internet are public and others have access to them.

We don’t need to vocalize every thought that comes to mind. Next time you’re about to publicize your opinions, remember you’re only hurting yourself. Once your words go viral, there is no turning back.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Staff Editorial 3/29: Haters hungry for attention”

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...