Staff Editorial 3/29: Haters hungry for attention

The latest literary trend made its way to the big screen  Friday. “The Hunger Games,” the first book in the popular trilogy written by Suzanne Collins, made a whopping $155-million in the box office in one weekend.

But the hype surrounding the movie subsided when angry fans found out that Rue, one of the tributes selected to participate in the death match, was black. Although Collins made it clear in the novel when she wrote, “She has dark brown skin and eyes,” the description apparently went unnoticed.

On several social media outlets like Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr, fans were outraged about the casting. A report on Jezebel.com featured several Twitter users who expressed their dismay, and Tweeted, “…call me racist but when I found out Rue was black, her death wasn’t as sad.” Another read: “Eww. Rue is black. I’m not watching.” And yet another read: “Why did the producers make the good characters black? Shake my head.” Still, a more insulting Tweet stated: “I was pumped about the Hunger Games. Until I learned that a black girl was playing Rue.”

Many more derogative comments were made about Rue’s character, but the aforementioned  statements prove the disgusting level of animosity.

Often, society employs social media as a platform to broadcast distasteful and hurtful messages.

If those Tweeters were face-to-face with Amandla Stenberg, the actress who plays Rue, they probably wouldn’t state their shameful opinions. And, if they did, they probably wouldn’t phrase it as they did in their Tweets. Hiding behind a computer screen isn’t any better. If you wouldn’t say it, don’t write it.

Our generation is unnervingly quick to pick up their smartphones and write the first thought that comes to mind via Tweets, status updates and mobile uploads. They either realize it’s offensive once its posted for the public to see, or really just don’t care. Either way, there’s a serious problem with these habits.

Social networks have made us all a bit rash. We feel like we’re entitled to say what we please without any repercussions, but fail to realize that our thoughts on the Internet are public and others have access to them.

We don’t need to vocalize every thought that comes to mind. Next time you’re about to publicize your opinions, remember you’re only hurting yourself. Once your words go viral, there is no turning back.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Staff Editorial 3/29: Haters hungry for attention”

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...