UM memes a medium for shared student experiences

Not only can you stalk people, keep in touch with friends, post videos and play games, but you can also read memes on Facebook.

Not just any memes, but UM memes.

College memes parody ideas via images and text. There are various memes on websites like memebase.com and 9gag.com. I love memes and I love UM. Therefore, this UM Memes Facebook page is pretty exciting for me.

I’ve seen extremely funny and entertaining ones such as the “success kid,” “terrible teacher” and “uber frosh” memes. Then there is the “gets on a machine in the Wellness Center … last person was weaker than me”-type meme.

However, I’ve also seen many that can be very insulting to some groups of people. For example, anything using the “high expectations Asian dad” or “ordinary Muslim man” is probably going to reinforce some kind of racial stereotype.

Currently 1,462 people like it and 1,051 people are talking about the Facebook group. It’s creating a lot of buzz. Its popularity is definitely spreading through social networks.

I feel that its success can be attributed to two main factors: UM students can relate to memes and we can contribute to them. We know what it’s like not being able to connect to Wireless Canes, not having our passwords saved on Blackboard and eating at Chartwells.

We can use our creativity and humor to connect through a website as a student body.

Michelle Lock is a freshman majoring in public relations.

Michelle Lock

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “UM memes a medium for shared student experiences”

1. camille brown says:

I love the UM memes. Last week I spent almost an hour looking at every single one posted on the UM meme facebook page. I think their really funny because most of them are pretty accurate to how I think. I think my favorite is “moan about dining hall food, end up spending 2 hours at table.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...