Q&A: Laura of Miami

WVUM’s Laura of Miami, a master’s student, DJed at Ultra on Saturday. The Miami Hurricane chatted via email with the local musical trendsetter, whose real name is Laura Sutnick, about her Ultra experience.

The Miami Hurricane: What’s your favorite part about being a DJ?

Laura Sutnick: I like to compare DJing to delivering flowers or serving ice cream. It’s about making people on the other side of the DJ booth happy. I like to introduce people to new music, make them dance, and I’m really big on developing Miami’s music scene.

TMH: What’s it like performing at Ultra?

lS: It’s great! Being on a bill with such top-notch talent is an honor. You get to play on an awesome system, a cool stage, and to very enthusiastic people.

TMH: What artists do you look up to?

lS: I love Todd Terje, who I actually booked for a May show at the Electric Pickle. I’m also a huge Kraftwerk fan, so seeing them this weekend was a treat. Grace Jones is one of my all-time favorites as well.

TMH: What DJs did you check out at Ultra?

lS: I was more into the live acts at Ultra this year: Kraftwerk, New Order, Metronomy, Little Dragon, and M83.

TMH: What’s been your biggest challenge as a DJ?

LS: I tend to play very new or obscure music. Generally Miamians are very caught up in mainstream music and hip-hop and it’s difficult to find crowds to open their minds to something they’ve never heard. If you want really great paying gigs, you normally have to sell out and play top 40 stuff, which I refuse to do.

TMH: What do you hope to do after graduation?

LS: I’ll be working hard bringing more acts to Miami through my company Nightdrive. We’re also working on launching a label and expanding our music blog nightdrivemiami.com, which is currently rated a top 100 music blog in the US.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...