3/26 News Briefs

Education Forum

The School of Education, in partnership with Miami-Dade County Public Schools, will host a discussion about the consequences, challenges and ethics of current school reform on March 30 at the Storer Auditorium from 8 a.m. to noon. The keynote speaker will be Alfie Kohn, a noted writer and speaker on human behavior, education and parenting. He will be joined by MDCPS assistant superintendents Maria de Armas and Nikolai Vitti and UM Education Assistant Professor Wendy Morrison-Cavendish. The forum is free and open to the public. To RSVP, contact Laurie McDonald at 305-284-6119 or at lmcdonald@miami.edu.

UHack

UM’s Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) chapters will run the first student-led “hackathon” called UHack. UHack is a 48-hour programming event that will be held Saturday to Sunday. Students can work with a group or on their own to create a mobile or web app with innovative technologies. Presented by the company Twilio, the event is backed by Microsoft, eBay, GitHub, and more. Food will be provided, and prizes range from XBOX’s to MacBooks. For more information, visit uhack.us.

Physicist to Speak

Stanford Distinguished Professor Alan Lightman will present a lecture titled “At the Crossroads of Art & Science: The Physicist as Novelist” at the Storer Auditorium, Wednesday at 7 p.m.   As a recognized physicist and novelist, Lightman was the first professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology to receive a joint appointment in the humanities and sciences. Admission is free, but seating is limited. To register and for more information, visit humanities.miami.edu.

Citi CEO Talk

Delta Sigma Pi, a business fraternity, will host Alexander G. van Tienhoven, Citi’s CEO of Wealth and Investment Management (Latin American and Mexico) on March 28 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Whitten Learning Center room 120. He will speak about his experience and position in Citi. The lecture is followed by a Q&A session. For more information, visit bus.miami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...