3/26 News Briefs

Education Forum

The School of Education, in partnership with Miami-Dade County Public Schools, will host a discussion about the consequences, challenges and ethics of current school reform on March 30 at the Storer Auditorium from 8 a.m. to noon. The keynote speaker will be Alfie Kohn, a noted writer and speaker on human behavior, education and parenting. He will be joined by MDCPS assistant superintendents Maria de Armas and Nikolai Vitti and UM Education Assistant Professor Wendy Morrison-Cavendish. The forum is free and open to the public. To RSVP, contact Laurie McDonald at 305-284-6119 or at lmcdonald@miami.edu.

UHack

UM’s Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) chapters will run the first student-led “hackathon” called UHack. UHack is a 48-hour programming event that will be held Saturday to Sunday. Students can work with a group or on their own to create a mobile or web app with innovative technologies. Presented by the company Twilio, the event is backed by Microsoft, eBay, GitHub, and more. Food will be provided, and prizes range from XBOX’s to MacBooks. For more information, visit uhack.us.

Physicist to Speak

Stanford Distinguished Professor Alan Lightman will present a lecture titled “At the Crossroads of Art & Science: The Physicist as Novelist” at the Storer Auditorium, Wednesday at 7 p.m.   As a recognized physicist and novelist, Lightman was the first professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology to receive a joint appointment in the humanities and sciences. Admission is free, but seating is limited. To register and for more information, visit humanities.miami.edu.

Citi CEO Talk

Delta Sigma Pi, a business fraternity, will host Alexander G. van Tienhoven, Citi’s CEO of Wealth and Investment Management (Latin American and Mexico) on March 28 from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Whitten Learning Center room 120. He will speak about his experience and position in Citi. The lecture is followed by a Q&A session. For more information, visit bus.miami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Darrell Langham's miraculous 28-yard catch set up Michael Badgley's game-winning field goa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play Sunday evening at the 2017 Oracle/ITA ...

The University of Miami women's rowing team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule on ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami volleyball team demonstrated skill on both sides of the ball Sunday, sweepin ...