Petition for more vegan options circulates

Muscovy ducks and lizards were not the only animals wandering around campus this week.

While donning a cow suit, Shannon Soper encouraged students to sign a petition for increased vegan options on campus this past Monday and Tuesday. The petition was organized by peta2, which is the youth outreach group for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, known as PETA.

Vegan options on campus have been a concern for many students for the past few years. Peta2 hosted a similar protest last spring semester but returned this semester because the group did not see as much change as they hoped for, said Soper, peta2’s campus outreach coordinator.

Junior Blake Simmons, the president of Students Helping Animals, struggled to find vegan food while living in Stanford during his freshman year.

“If you live in the dorms you’re required to have a meal plan,” said Simmons. “I was going to Whole Foods every Friday and shoving it into my little refrigerator. That $5000 meal plan was going out the window.”

After peta2 came to campus last year, Simmons sat down with the Dining Services Department to discuss vegan options.

“I met with the head of Chartwells and he brought out a list and checked all things that were vegan,” he said.

According to Simmons, the next step “was to let everyone know up front what is vegan, what is vegetarian, and what’s not.”

After the meeting, dining services made changes to the labels on the food in the dining halls. Last February, Chartwells introduced the Balanced U Program, which introduced an icon system that clearly labels vegan and vegetarian options in the dining halls.

“It encourages students to make better choices in food selection,” said Ana Alvarez, UM’s director of auxiliary services. “This has been a great feature for students who would like to identify what vegan and vegetarian options are available.”

In addition to changing the labeling, additional vegan options were added.

“The concept called Terra Ve serves only vegetarian options, of which over 60 percent…are vegan,” Alvarez said.

Currently, one soup per day is vegan, and the concept called Sandwich Central has a daily vegan sandwich. Additionally, students have the option to create vegan salads and stir-fry.

Even with these changes, some students feel that the vegetarian section as a whole needs more variation.

“I don’t eat at the dining hall because, ninety percent of the time, the vegetarian food that is there is tofu,” sophomore Bharathi Subramanian said. “Just because I’m a vegetarian doesn’t mean I like tofu. Other than that, it’s fries.”

Like Subramanian, Simmons desires more options in the dining hall.

“I would love for a full vegan stand where every day is something different,” he said.

Other students feel that the labeling system needs improvement.

“The section that usually has vegetarian and vegan food is sometimes a safe bet – I’ve eaten there a few times with food that was labeled as vegan, but actually had cheese or other animal products in it,” junior Stephanie Kryzak said.

Simmons plans to send the petition, which got more than 1,000 signatures, to dining services.

“We will send the petition just to say, ‘Hey, we still have a big amount of vegans who would like more options,’” he said. “We plan on peta2 coming back every semester to show that it’s not a disappearing trend.”

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Petition for more vegan options circulates”

1. Gabrielle says:

This story applies to a lot of students on the University of Miami campus. Since the university requires freshman students to be on the meal plan, they should have options for everyone. Although changes have been made the vegetarian and vegan options are lacking. There were a lot of quotes in this story that show that despite the changes that have been made there is still a lot to be done in terms of creating more options in the dining hall.

2. Holly H. says:

This story obviously has proximity, human interest, and impact. It was written well and the topic is important because it affects those on campus who are vegans as well as every one else who eats at the dining halls. Students who are not vegans but still eat at the dining hall will be impacted because they may have new food options offered to them. There is also a chance the food options they have now could be reduced to accommodate for vegans. This story had several different sources that showed both sides of the story. It is important to have the opinions of students in the story. A quote from a student, preferably vegan, who likes what the dining hall is doing right now would strengthen the story if included.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...