Sports, Tennis

No.6 Canes defeat Yellow Jackets 5-2

Returning home to Coral Gables, the No. 6 Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis team defeated the No. 21 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Wednesday by a score of 5-2.

Despite a strong doubles victory of first pair sophomore Melissa Bolivar and freshman Liat Zimmerman, the ‘Canes dropped the doubles point to Georgia Tech and gave the Yellow Jackets an early 1-0 lead in the match.

UM came back strong in singles play with five victorious finishes. Senior Gabriella Mejia, 32nd-ranked and recently named Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Tennis Player of the Week, secured the first singles victory for the ‘Canes (6-3, 6-1) over Georgia Tech’s Elizabeth Kilborn. Mejia’s teammates followed suit shortly after with wins from No. 20 senior Anna Bartenstein, No. 99 freshman Lina Lileikite, Bolivar and Zimmerman.

The pair of Bolivar and Zimmerman is currently ranked 28th nationally and have enjoyed success throughout the season, both in doubles and in individual matches.

“We get along very well and just focusing on little details like making the returns, the first serves in, the basic stuff that makes our doubles a little more simple,”Bolivar said. “It’s also about getting the energy going, keeping it up, and being positive every time.”

Zimmerman echoed her partner’s sentiments.

“From the first match we played together the communication was good between us,” said Zimmerman.

Bolivar and Zimmerman both agreed that the energy of doubles play has a definite impact on individual singles matches.

“When we have a good day in doubles, we try to carry it on,” Bolivar said. “It’s important to have a short memory after the doubles, if you beat a good couple, whatever, the match is not over, you still have a match to go. I think keeping the focus on is what gets us going.”

The Hurricane’s victory marks their tenth straight, and the ninth over nationally-ranked opponents, improving their ACC record to 4-0.

The team travels to North Carolina this weekend for upcoming matches against Wake Forest and NC State.

Kristen Spillane

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Darrell Langham's miraculous 28-yard catch set up Michael Badgley's game-winning field goa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play Sunday evening at the 2017 Oracle/ITA ...

The University of Miami women's rowing team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule on ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami volleyball team demonstrated skill on both sides of the ball Sunday, sweepin ...