Fun. proves clever, refreshing

If you’ve listened to the radio recently, you’ve probably heard Fun.’s “We Are Young.” Lead singer Nate Ruess’ smooth voice tells you about his friends “getting higher than the Empire State” and how “we can burn brighter than the sun.”

Well, just as I suspected, the clever lyrics and refreshing sound on the band’s single extends into “Some Nights,” Fun.’s second album. The transitions between the tracks are powerful yet effortless, making the record seem like a 45-minute symphony that you don’t want to pause.

The first song, “Some Nights Intro,” starts off with applause and Ruess singing along to a catchy piano melody. Then the orchestra and the harmonies kick in, and you suddenly second-guess which band is playing through your speakers. Is this Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody?” Nope, it’s just Fun. at its best.

It’s hard to explain what about the band’s sound is so captivating; it seems familiar yet it’s so original. Some tracks, like “Carry On,” will remind you of Mumford & Sons. Yet others, such as “All Alone,” seem like the ideal amalgamation of the band’s sound with Maroon 5’s and Sugar Ray’s.  Then there’s the electropop that sneaks into some of the songs, like “It Gets Better.”

Although every song is equally as fantastic (for lack of a better word), some are more equal than others: “One Foot” is the peak of the album. With its uplifting sound and lyrics like “I don’t need a new love, or a new life/Just a better place to die,” the song is lively and exhilarating yet it touches on issues in today’s society, such as LGBT rights.

Some people may say Fun. is just another pop band. But members Ruess, Andrew Dost and Jack Antonoff successfully pulled together the best of every genre and combined that sound with brilliant lyrics, producing an album that will change the band’s career in a good way.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Fun. proves clever, refreshing”

1. CNJ Student says:

I love the way this article is written. It’s conversational, easy to read, and the language choice is inviting. It also has persuaded me to listen to the second album since I love “We Are Young” so much. I also like how the writer uses specific examples from the album proving he really did research and can back up his opinion.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...