Diplo drops a beat

After a year packed with rap, hip-hop and rock n’ roll, electronic DJ Diplo will spin at the BankUnited Center on April 12 for students, faculty and staff.

“He’s a really good DJ and is going to be perfect for what the student body has been asking for,” said Kris Martin, Hurricane Productions’ (HP) president of concerts.

Martin said that he looks for artists who are accessible, popular and easy to work with. He has worked with Diplo in the past and believed he was a good choice.

“He really enjoys playing to his fanbase, which are college kids,” he said.

The event is free. Currently, HP plans to give away 3,500 tickets, but the event can be expanded to 7,000 depending on demand, Martin said.

Tickets will be available at the University Center Ticketmaster window starting at 8:30 a.m. on March 26. One ticket per student will be allowed. If tickets remain, students will be able to pick up one additonal free ticket beginning April 2. Faculty and staff will also be allowed to pick up two free tickets beginning April 2.

Diplo is selective about which universities he will play at, according to Martin.

“We’re lucky he said yes,” Martin said.

According to Martin, Hurricane Productions took student considerations into account while booking the DJ. The group looked at the survey conducted during Homecoming and saw a high demand for electronic music.

“We really strived to achieve a universal acceptance of who’s coming to campus,” Martin said.

And many students are indeed excited for the show.

“His music is sick,” sophomore Sara Marin said. “It’s great that UM is bringing him because he’s just as big as any huge artist who would be too expensive to go see at any club in Miami. It’s like a really awesome gift to see him, especially if you couldn’t afford to go to Ultra.”

Others, however, were content with the hip-hop heavy music choices before.

“I thought that it was good when they brought hip-hop artists,” sophomore Christopher Hurst said. “I felt that more people could relate to that.”

Despite being unfamiliar with Diplo’s music, Hurst said he understands the change.

“It’s appropriate for this school because everyone goes to Ultra,” Hurst said. “I just don’t really have that much interest in it.”

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Diplo drops a beat”

1. Michelle says:

It is very important that UM wants to provide to their students a variety of activities they can get involved with. Taking an artist like Diplo is a great opportunity for students to participate and feel part of a special reunion at the university. I was actually thinking that the date is perfect since we just go the ultra last weekend, it does fit perfectly and people are still in the electronic mood. I am really excited to see this show.

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

A pair of Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized with weekly honors from the Atlantic Coast Co ...

The Miami women's basketball team will host the first of its two elementary school days Tuesday ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team welcomed three new members to the program with the si ...