Diplo drops a beat

After a year packed with rap, hip-hop and rock n’ roll, electronic DJ Diplo will spin at the BankUnited Center on April 12 for students, faculty and staff.

“He’s a really good DJ and is going to be perfect for what the student body has been asking for,” said Kris Martin, Hurricane Productions’ (HP) president of concerts.

Martin said that he looks for artists who are accessible, popular and easy to work with. He has worked with Diplo in the past and believed he was a good choice.

“He really enjoys playing to his fanbase, which are college kids,” he said.

The event is free. Currently, HP plans to give away 3,500 tickets, but the event can be expanded to 7,000 depending on demand, Martin said.

Tickets will be available at the University Center Ticketmaster window starting at 8:30 a.m. on March 26. One ticket per student will be allowed. If tickets remain, students will be able to pick up one additonal free ticket beginning April 2. Faculty and staff will also be allowed to pick up two free tickets beginning April 2.

Diplo is selective about which universities he will play at, according to Martin.

“We’re lucky he said yes,” Martin said.

According to Martin, Hurricane Productions took student considerations into account while booking the DJ. The group looked at the survey conducted during Homecoming and saw a high demand for electronic music.

“We really strived to achieve a universal acceptance of who’s coming to campus,” Martin said.

And many students are indeed excited for the show.

“His music is sick,” sophomore Sara Marin said. “It’s great that UM is bringing him because he’s just as big as any huge artist who would be too expensive to go see at any club in Miami. It’s like a really awesome gift to see him, especially if you couldn’t afford to go to Ultra.”

Others, however, were content with the hip-hop heavy music choices before.

“I thought that it was good when they brought hip-hop artists,” sophomore Christopher Hurst said. “I felt that more people could relate to that.”

Despite being unfamiliar with Diplo’s music, Hurst said he understands the change.

“It’s appropriate for this school because everyone goes to Ultra,” Hurst said. “I just don’t really have that much interest in it.”

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Diplo drops a beat”

1. Michelle says:

It is very important that UM wants to provide to their students a variety of activities they can get involved with. Taking an artist like Diplo is a great opportunity for students to participate and feel part of a special reunion at the university. I was actually thinking that the date is perfect since we just go the ultra last weekend, it does fit perfectly and people are still in the electronic mood. I am really excited to see this show.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...