City approves plan to renovate Marine Stadium

The 6,566 seat stadium was designed by architect, Hilario Candela. He was a 28 year old immigrant from Cuba when he designed the stadium. The stadium hosted world-class powerboat events and was the site of many nationally televised events. Marlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

The graffiti-covered seats of the Miami Marine Stadium may soon attract patrons instead of the occasional skater.

City of Miami commissioners voted 3-2 on March 8 in favor of allowing a possible renovation, using a master plan developed by UM architecture students in 2009, of the stadium to progress with certain conditions.

During their March meeting, commissioners met with the Friends of Miami Marine Stadium, the group responsible for the landmark’s preservation, to confirm an agreement between the two groups and the Miami Sports and Exhibition Authority (MSEA).

The agreement gives Friends two years to develop fundraising techniques and a viable operational plan. Friends, which is in charge of completing the two requirements, must return in six months to update commissioners and MSEA on its efforts.

Miami commissioners Wifredo “Willy” Gort, Marc Sarnoff, and Francis Suarez voted in favor of the agreement with Friends, while Michelle Spence-Jones and Frank Carollo voted against.

According to an article in The Miami Herald, Spence-Jones and Carollo both objected to the agreement because Friends was given the authority on the issue without being chosen through a competitive bidding process. After multiple attempts to reach the two commissioners, Spence-Jones and Carollo were not available to speak at the time of publication.

However, Suarez said that there were not any other alternatives available at the time of the vote and thus voted in favor of the agreement.

“The stadium has been languishing for decades,” he said. “No other group has shown such interest.”

Sarnoff also voted yes, but is concerned about whether viable operational and economic plans are achievable.

“I don’t know if this generation is interested in an outdoor stadium,” he said. “Can the losses be offset?”

According to Suarez, it will take an estimated $30 million to $40 million to renovate the stadium. Three million dollars in county bonds have already been allocated to assuage the cost. Friends will need to fundraise the remaining amount. Given the historic and iconic nature of the stadium, Friends might also receive aid from the federal government and various philanthropies, Sarnoff said.

Co-founder of Friends Don Worth confirms that another $4 million to $5 million in tax credits and $2 million from a corporate sponsor have been confirmed for renovation funding. He hopes the remaining balance comes from a capital campaign and possible naming rights to the stadium.

According to Worth, the stadium will be used as a multipurpose facility that will host everything from sporting events and boat races to graduations and weddings.

The original architect, Hilario Candela, will restore the stadium using UM architecture students’ master plan. In 2009, the class was led by Friends co-founder Jorge Hernandez, a UM architecture professor and vice-chair of the National Trust for Historical Preservation.

Hernandez was not available to speak at the time of publication.

The stadium will again face another vote concerning MSEA’s final approval to give the interlocal agreement the anticipated green light.For now, six months stand between Friends and the possible realization of its cause.

“It’s a terrific project that appeals to a variety of people,” Worth said. “Once you go inside, you’ll understand its magic. It is and will be the jewel and crown of Miami.”

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “City approves plan to renovate Marine Stadium”

1. Adam McKillop says:

Okay, so I am a newcomer to Miami. I have some questions and doubts. One, why did this stadium go abandoned in the first place. I understand renovation is a great way to reactivate places such as this and I do agree this place could be a “jewel.” How many other cities have stadiums out on the water, really? We are in Miami and it is awesome we can have something special like that. But I am still a little skeptical because I’m not sure why the place went down in the first place. Why was it no able to succeed? Also my main concern is the money raising. I do firmly believe the group is dedicated enough to attempt to raise such a large sum of money but that is difficult especially now. I would love to find out some more information on their plans for fundraising as well as operating the new stadium when it may be renovated.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...