Cast makes ‘The Hunger Games’ soar

courtesy onlinemovieshut.com
courtesy onlinemovieshut.com

Before you write off “The Hunger Games” as bubblegum-tween trash, think again. Based on the first book in Suzanne Collin’s popular trilogy, “The Hunger Games” has the potential to be the next big hit that attracts girls, boys and adults alike.

It’s a unique occurrence when a movie like this is able to break through “good for the fans” and emerge as just good, in general. And “The Hunger Games” is more than just good.

Is it a perfect movie? No. The ending is rushed and the camerawork rattles and shakes in an attempt to show us the violence without actually showing us due to its PG-13 rating.

But when you enlist talent such as Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson and Donald Sutherland, along with Academy Award nominee Jennifer Lawrence as the lead … one thing is for certain: You’re aiming for quality.

The first half is surprisingly more engaging than the second half. It introduces us to the world of Panem, with its corrupt, totalitarian government (called the “Capitol”). The members of the Capitol treat Panem citizens like puppets that exist solely for their entertainment.

After an uprising that happened years ago, the Capitol created the Hunger Games to ensure that they never rebel again. Twenty-four kids are chosen at random to fight to the death on live TV with only one able to emerge as the victor.

Lawrence’s character, Katniss, is a heroine worth rooting for. She has a fire that makes it impossible to tear your eyes away from her.

The source-material is spectacularly brought to life on screen in this wonderful adaptation – from the dirty, lifeless surroundings of the different districts to the energetic creepiness of the barbarians of the Capitol. One thing is certain: The odds of you loving “The Hunger Games” will be in your favor.