Grab an apron and get cooking at the Wellness Center

Maha Kikugawa watches as Chef Mercedes Verela-Mendez prepares mushroom barley with cannellini beans and sweet potatoes. Holly Bensur//The MIami Hurricane

Leave your spatula, food processor and measuring cups at home and join other chefs-in-training at the Wellness Center’s Instructional Kitchen, where you can learn to master cuisines from around the globe.

Step into the kitchen about twice a month and join Chef Lori or Chef Mercedes in their cooking classes featuring flavorful menus, from the rich dishes of northern Italy to the spicy Cajun specialties of Louisiana.

The chefs not only teach between three and four memorable recipes, but they also offer handy cooking techniques for cooking at home. Come hungry because the class shares the delicious final products at the end.

UPCOMING CLASSES

– March 20: Create Spanish tapas, including garbanzo frito and aioli potatoes, with Chef Mercedes

– March 26: Perfect your puff pastries filled with cheese, fruit or meat with Chef Lori on March 26

– April 1: Bake vegan desserts like gluten-free gingerbread buckwheat pancakes and plain cake donuts with Chef Lori

– Price: $20 for students and Wellness Center members, $25 for non-members

All classes take place between 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. in the Wellness Center Enrichment Suite’s Instructional Kitchen. Visit miami.edu/wellness for more information on future classes and other details.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

One by one, they stepped up to the scale. First-round picks and long-shot prospects alike. Here, the ...

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

Miami Northwestern senior Nigel Bethel, a 5-11, 160-pounder who chose the Hurricanes over Central Fl ...

The University of Louisville coaching staff must have been puzzled watching tape of the Miami Hurric ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Miami men's basketball team returns home at 8 p.m. Wednesday to battle Louisville at the so ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team has earned the first ACC Player of the ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on fourth-ranked Louisville Thursday at 11 a.m., on ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...