Grab an apron and get cooking at the Wellness Center

Maha Kikugawa watches as Chef Mercedes Verela-Mendez prepares mushroom barley with cannellini beans and sweet potatoes. Holly Bensur//The MIami Hurricane

Leave your spatula, food processor and measuring cups at home and join other chefs-in-training at the Wellness Center’s Instructional Kitchen, where you can learn to master cuisines from around the globe.

Step into the kitchen about twice a month and join Chef Lori or Chef Mercedes in their cooking classes featuring flavorful menus, from the rich dishes of northern Italy to the spicy Cajun specialties of Louisiana.

The chefs not only teach between three and four memorable recipes, but they also offer handy cooking techniques for cooking at home. Come hungry because the class shares the delicious final products at the end.

UPCOMING CLASSES

– March 20: Create Spanish tapas, including garbanzo frito and aioli potatoes, with Chef Mercedes

– March 26: Perfect your puff pastries filled with cheese, fruit or meat with Chef Lori on March 26

– April 1: Bake vegan desserts like gluten-free gingerbread buckwheat pancakes and plain cake donuts with Chef Lori

– Price: $20 for students and Wellness Center members, $25 for non-members

All classes take place between 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. in the Wellness Center Enrichment Suite’s Instructional Kitchen. Visit miami.edu/wellness for more information on future classes and other details.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...