Study locations exist beyond Richter Library

Freshman Rachel Martin studies in the music library on Sunday night for her test on Monday. "I like the view from the windows," Martin said. "The stacks kind of freak me out and it's prettier here." Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

With midterm season right around the corner, now is the time to find a perfect studying spot.

While the Richter Library is the most popular (and crowded) place to study and socialize, there are several smaller libraries across the university’s three campuses that may offer a change of scenery.

Those smaller libraries include the Marta and Austin Weeks Music Library, the Paul Buisson Reference Library at the School of Architecture and the Law Library on the Gables campus, and the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science Library on Virginia Key.

Weeks Music Library

Sitting on the edge of Lake Osceola next to the site of the former Rathskeller, the Weeks is the newest and largest branch of the university’s libraries. Though it mainly caters to the needs of students at the Frost School of Music, the building and its resources are available to the entire UM community.

The library features worktables, cubicle-like study desks and small lounge areas with picturesque views of the lake.

“In the Weeks Music Library I don’t feel like I have to push myself so hard to keep studying, because the natural light and the atmosphere present in the building gives me more energy to continue,” sophomore Monica Zgurova said.

RSMAS Library

For students looking for a change of scenery, the RSMAS library located on the Virginia Key campus is just a short drive or shuttle ride away. This library offers a unique bonus: coffee and candy for students.

“Just the idea of going to the nearby beach alone will drive me to get my studies done,” senior Laken Garcia said. “It’s the perfect incentive.”

Law Library

Located near Richter and the popular on-campus Subway restaurant, this is a good place for late-night studying.

Robin C. Schard, assistant library director for public service, says that while the library gets fairly busy during the day, it is usually a very quiet space at night.

“It is more quiet and people who are studying will police any noise,” she said.

The library has a number of group study rooms, computer labs and study cubicles with computers. The computers are only available to law students; however, the desks have connections for personal laptops.

Schard said that there are some access restrictions during major exam periods, but otherwise the law library is open to all students.

Architecture Library

Another campus alternative to Richter worth trying out is the architecture library, located on the first floor of building 48-D, which faces the central courtyard of the School of Architecture.

According to Elisiene Jean, the senior library assistant, the space remains relatively calm and quiet throughout most of the semester, but the activity picks up during finals or heavy exam periods.

This facility contains several computers, as well as a small lounge area and two conference rooms that are usually available to students unless a private meeting is being held, according to Jean. There are also a few tables outside in the courtyard that give students the chance to study and take advantage of the fresh air.

Karla Durango

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...