Study locations exist beyond Richter Library

Freshman Rachel Martin studies in the music library on Sunday night for her test on Monday. "I like the view from the windows," Martin said. "The stacks kind of freak me out and it's prettier here." Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

With midterm season right around the corner, now is the time to find a perfect studying spot.

While the Richter Library is the most popular (and crowded) place to study and socialize, there are several smaller libraries across the university’s three campuses that may offer a change of scenery.

Those smaller libraries include the Marta and Austin Weeks Music Library, the Paul Buisson Reference Library at the School of Architecture and the Law Library on the Gables campus, and the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science Library on Virginia Key.

Weeks Music Library

Sitting on the edge of Lake Osceola next to the site of the former Rathskeller, the Weeks is the newest and largest branch of the university’s libraries. Though it mainly caters to the needs of students at the Frost School of Music, the building and its resources are available to the entire UM community.

The library features worktables, cubicle-like study desks and small lounge areas with picturesque views of the lake.

“In the Weeks Music Library I don’t feel like I have to push myself so hard to keep studying, because the natural light and the atmosphere present in the building gives me more energy to continue,” sophomore Monica Zgurova said.

RSMAS Library

For students looking for a change of scenery, the RSMAS library located on the Virginia Key campus is just a short drive or shuttle ride away. This library offers a unique bonus: coffee and candy for students.

“Just the idea of going to the nearby beach alone will drive me to get my studies done,” senior Laken Garcia said. “It’s the perfect incentive.”

Law Library

Located near Richter and the popular on-campus Subway restaurant, this is a good place for late-night studying.

Robin C. Schard, assistant library director for public service, says that while the library gets fairly busy during the day, it is usually a very quiet space at night.

“It is more quiet and people who are studying will police any noise,” she said.

The library has a number of group study rooms, computer labs and study cubicles with computers. The computers are only available to law students; however, the desks have connections for personal laptops.

Schard said that there are some access restrictions during major exam periods, but otherwise the law library is open to all students.

Architecture Library

Another campus alternative to Richter worth trying out is the architecture library, located on the first floor of building 48-D, which faces the central courtyard of the School of Architecture.

According to Elisiene Jean, the senior library assistant, the space remains relatively calm and quiet throughout most of the semester, but the activity picks up during finals or heavy exam periods.

This facility contains several computers, as well as a small lounge area and two conference rooms that are usually available to students unless a private meeting is being held, according to Jean. There are also a few tables outside in the courtyard that give students the chance to study and take advantage of the fresh air.

Karla Durango

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...