Sports Briefs 3-5

Women’s Basketball

The Hurricanes went into the ACC Tournament on Friday evening looking to ride the momentum generated from their season-ending victory against Boston College. Instead, Wake Forest came away with the upset win over Miami, 81-74 at the Greensboro Coliseum. Senior Riquna Williams scored 22 points and Shenise Johnson and Stefanie Yderstrom added 18 apiece, but the Canes were unable to overcome a slow first half. Miami erupted for 51 points in the second half, but the Demon Deacons survived the surge.  The loss followed an upset win for N.C. State, which defeated the No. 1 seed Duke Blue Devils 75-73 early Friday afternoon. Miami awaits its NCAA tournament seeding, which should be released early next week.

Track and Field

Freshman Innocent Jacob and junior Samantha Williams competed in the Virginia Tech Last Chance Qualifier Meet a week before the NCAA Indoor Championships will take place. Williams finished in the top five in the triple jump and Williams finished 10th in the long jump, as both women wait to find out whether they will qualify to compete for the national championship. They will learn their fates on Monday afternoon.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...