Sports, Tennis

Miami beats North Florida, Clemson

The University of Miami women’s tennis team returned home for a weekend of victories over Clemson and the University of North Florida.

The No. 10 Hurricanes came out on top over No. 34 Clemson by a score of 5-2 in Sunday’s five-hour match.

Despite two rain delays, UM clinched their second ACC victory of the season.

“It’s always nice playing at home, it’s always a little windy and the conditions are a little different than I think most programs see,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said following the afternoon win.

Strong play from sophomore Melissa Bolivar and freshman Liat Zimmerman, the doubles first team, and senior Gabriella Mejia and freshman Lina Lileikite, who play second doubles, gave the Canes an early edge.

“It does make a difference because it’s nice playing here at home, but it’s just another match that we have to win,” Mejia said.

The doubles tandem of Mejia and Lileikite was unbeaten in this weekend’s matches and are individually ranked 25th and 119th, respectively.

“In doubles I know my partner is next to me and she will help me,” Lileikite said. “Gabi is a really great partner, she will help me and cheer me up when I’m having a bad day.”

Senior Anna Bartenstein (6-1, 6-3), Lileikite (6-2, 6-1) and Zimmerman (6-1, 6-4) each added singles points for the Hurricanes in straight sets.

Bolivar closed out the match with an 11-9 win in her third set over Clemson’s Beatrice Gumulya.

The victory followed Saturday’s 7-0 demolition of the University of North Florida.

Doubles wins from second team Mejia and Lileikite, and third pair Bartenstein and freshman Brittany Dubins, put the Canes on the scoreboard first.

Six singles wins closed out the clean sweep of the overmatched Ospreys for the Hurricanes.

“North Florida, they’re a competitive team, they’re going to make you beat them, so we knew that it was going to be a good test,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We were able to come out of the blocks and play on our terms.”

UM takes on Boston College at home on Friday, and No. 12 Baylor will come into Coral Gables for a showdown with the Canes on March 13.

Kristen Spillane