‘Project X’ captures the audience, won’t let go

Producer Todd Phillips loves to take risks when he works on a movie. Most producers shy away from the “R” rating so they can profit more from the film, but not Phillips.
His last three movies (“The Hangover II,” “Due Date” and “The Hangover”) have all been rated “R” and yet still made more than $1.2 billion combined.  Expect nothing less from “Project X,” which takes Phillips usual over-the-top crazy antics and applies them to three losers throwing an epic high school party.
Most viewers are wondering how anything from Phillips could shock them after seeing “The Hangover II.”  But Phillips and his band of no-name director and actors throw the party you wish you could go to but would never want to host.
The movie starts off like a documentary, following three high school losers planning a birthday party for Thomas (played by Thomas Mann).  The party takes a turn for the crazy when Coast (played by Oliver Cooper) promotes the party on Craigslist. What starts out as a great night ends up breaking any house party, drug or alcohol consumption records imaginable.
Director Nima Nourizadeh makes his big screen debut with “Project X” after directing music videos.  At times Nourizadeh’s past shines through, but the music video vibe adds to the party element of the film.
Although “Project X” is one-dimensional and provides its audience with nothing to learn, it captures the viewer and does not let go. It’s the perfect pre-game for a night of partying.  As soon as the movie is over, you feel challenged to one up the film — an impossible feat.

Enrico Dominguez

Contributing Edge Writer

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...