New Butler Center staff aims for larger presence on campus

The new staff at the Butler Center of Volunteer Service and Leadership Development plans to re-energize the center this semester with a new logo and a stronger online presence.

Butler Center Director Andrew Wiemer and Assistant Director Sarah Ho, who took over last fall, have embraced the Internet to inform students of volunteer and leadership opportunities.

“We do not have official publications for the center, so having social networking sites and the newsletter is necessary to help us promote awareness and keep the community updated,” Wiemer said.

Lila Albizu, a senior and student assistant at the Butler Center, has been working on relaunching “The Butler Connection” with fresh features, graphics and organization. The newsletter will be available exclusively on the Internet.

“For an entire year the newsletter died down,” Albizu said. “My job is to make its comeback a success.”

The Butler Center is also using a new logo featuring the university’s mascot, the ibis, a marsh bird that stays to warn other wildlife when a hurricane approaches.

“Including the ibis in the new logo was extremely important because it is a true reflection of a citizen leading the community in times of need,” Albizu said.

The center also plans to focus on Facebook, Twitter and blogs.

The staff aims to continue the growth of the Butler Center by promoting awareness and involvement.

“With the newsletter, new logo and various social networking sites, the Butler Center is working to become a major component to the UM campus,” said Randall Seenandan, another student assistant.

The center, established in 1989 and named for former Vice President of Student Affairs William Butler, is now home to about 40 student service organizations, including Relay For Life, Orientation Outreach, Marine Mammal Stranding Team and Project Sunshine.

For more information on the Butler Connection and Center, please visit facebook.com/leadandserve or follow them on twitter @ButlerSLC_UM.

Ariana Lubelli

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...