New Butler Center staff aims for larger presence on campus

The new staff at the Butler Center of Volunteer Service and Leadership Development plans to re-energize the center this semester with a new logo and a stronger online presence.

Butler Center Director Andrew Wiemer and Assistant Director Sarah Ho, who took over last fall, have embraced the Internet to inform students of volunteer and leadership opportunities.

“We do not have official publications for the center, so having social networking sites and the newsletter is necessary to help us promote awareness and keep the community updated,” Wiemer said.

Lila Albizu, a senior and student assistant at the Butler Center, has been working on relaunching “The Butler Connection” with fresh features, graphics and organization. The newsletter will be available exclusively on the Internet.

“For an entire year the newsletter died down,” Albizu said. “My job is to make its comeback a success.”

The Butler Center is also using a new logo featuring the university’s mascot, the ibis, a marsh bird that stays to warn other wildlife when a hurricane approaches.

“Including the ibis in the new logo was extremely important because it is a true reflection of a citizen leading the community in times of need,” Albizu said.

The center also plans to focus on Facebook, Twitter and blogs.

The staff aims to continue the growth of the Butler Center by promoting awareness and involvement.

“With the newsletter, new logo and various social networking sites, the Butler Center is working to become a major component to the UM campus,” said Randall Seenandan, another student assistant.

The center, established in 1989 and named for former Vice President of Student Affairs William Butler, is now home to about 40 student service organizations, including Relay For Life, Orientation Outreach, Marine Mammal Stranding Team and Project Sunshine.

For more information on the Butler Connection and Center, please visit facebook.com/leadandserve or follow them on twitter @ButlerSLC_UM.

Ariana Lubelli

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...