Jesus, religion should not be equal

There is a video called “Why I Hate Religion But Love Jesus” that has been trending on Tumblr, Facebook and Twitter for several weeks.

It has gotten people talking. Some love the video and feel that it hits the nail on the head, while others consider it to be way off.

The video is about a poem that spreads the message that Christianity is not supposed to be about religion, but rather about forming a personal relationship with Jesus. Some argue that, by definition, Christianity is a religion and the poet’s argument is false.

However, that is not what the poet means by religion. I think the point he was trying to make was that some churches have gotten caught up in doing things based on a ritual, like fasting during Lent. In the Bible, Jesus fasted and prayed for 40 days during Lent. Fasting without a purpose is like giving something up for no reason.

Another issue that was discussed is that churches are focusing on the wrong things. Students who grew up in small churches could probably tell you more about the church drama than about the sermon. Churches shouldn’t be focusing on things such as what clothes you decide to wear or how your hair is styled during mass. Their main focus should be on God.

The poet isn’t saying that churches are bad or that you don’t need to go to church. Church is important because the pastor or minister of the church is there to help you understand God’s word and teach you.

The main point that I got from this video is that you shouldn’t let your focus shift from God to religion. Doing things a certain way because it is part of a religion won’t save you, but accepting and getting to know Jesus as your Lord and savior will.

Jesus is not equal to religion. He is greater.

Taylor Duckett is a freshman majoring in chemistry.

Taylor Duckett

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...