Jesus, religion should not be equal

There is a video called “Why I Hate Religion But Love Jesus” that has been trending on Tumblr, Facebook and Twitter for several weeks.

It has gotten people talking. Some love the video and feel that it hits the nail on the head, while others consider it to be way off.

The video is about a poem that spreads the message that Christianity is not supposed to be about religion, but rather about forming a personal relationship with Jesus. Some argue that, by definition, Christianity is a religion and the poet’s argument is false.

However, that is not what the poet means by religion. I think the point he was trying to make was that some churches have gotten caught up in doing things based on a ritual, like fasting during Lent. In the Bible, Jesus fasted and prayed for 40 days during Lent. Fasting without a purpose is like giving something up for no reason.

Another issue that was discussed is that churches are focusing on the wrong things. Students who grew up in small churches could probably tell you more about the church drama than about the sermon. Churches shouldn’t be focusing on things such as what clothes you decide to wear or how your hair is styled during mass. Their main focus should be on God.

The poet isn’t saying that churches are bad or that you don’t need to go to church. Church is important because the pastor or minister of the church is there to help you understand God’s word and teach you.

The main point that I got from this video is that you shouldn’t let your focus shift from God to religion. Doing things a certain way because it is part of a religion won’t save you, but accepting and getting to know Jesus as your Lord and savior will.

Jesus is not equal to religion. He is greater.

Taylor Duckett is a freshman majoring in chemistry.

Taylor Duckett

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...