Employees get site, phone line for medical needs

The University of Miami is making it easier for its employees to connect with their doctors through a website and a phone number that allows them to schedule appointments and find the appropriate doctor for their medical needs.

The UHealth Connect system now includes an employee-exclusive phone line in addition to the public line. Because few UM employees used the system, administrators hope that it will encourage more employees to use UHealth Connect.

“I have had trouble scheduling appointments with UM doctors before the system because it became frustrating when I got transferred to different people and it took too long to finally get a response,” said case manager Nikki Abramson, who works in the dean of students’ office.

Abramson said she hopes this line will resolve her troubles when it comes to scheduling her annual medical check-up, which she plans on making soon.

Call center operators answer 1.2 million calls every year; about half of those have to do with scheduling and the others fall into the categories of general information and directory.

“We have been growing and expanding since we first started five years ago”, said Daniel Fleisher, director of patient access for UHealth Connect.

A team of 160 on-site operators is divided into 20 clinical departments such as medical and dermatology.

The schedulers can view a patient’s MyUHealthChart, a secure online portal where members can view a complete medical history, schedule appointments with their physicians through email, view certain lab results and order prescriptions.

The busiest months for the operators are January and February because those months make up one of the “open” seasons during the year when the insurance companies can sign in new members.

“In this system, UM employees get priority and are led to the appropriate doctor immediately,” Fleisher said.

Immediate family members of UM employees are also given the same access and attention. Nancy del Pozzo, who is the office manager at the dean of student’s office and has a toddler and newborn son, relies on it.

“My oldest son had an eye infection, and I used the CARE line to get to the ER right away,” del Pozzo said. “It helped a lot.”

Employees can call the number on the back of their UM health insurance cards from Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m and 6 p.m., for reasons such as scheduling an appointment or getting a prescription refill.

Daniela Rodriguez

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...