Cornel West stops by campus to celebrate diversity

Tuesday night February 21st, Cornel West, a noted author, activist, commentator, and Princeton professor, spoke to an enthusiastic crowd of students, faculty and staff at the 2012 Spring Convocation. His speech was a part of "Unity in Diversity,"€ a series of events commemorating the 50th anniversary of desegregation at UM. Monica Herndon//The Miami Hurricane

Cornel West spoke to students at the BankUnited Center on Thursday as part of the University of Miami’s celebration of the 50th anniversary of desegregation on campus.

During the event titled “Diversity & Democracy: An Evening with Dr. Cornel West,” the notable intellectual and advocate for social justice spoke to a packed audience of UM students, faculty and staff.
West spoke to the crowd tackling issues of race and society in the United States.

A call for self-realization or “learning how to die” was a major part of West’s message to the crowd.

“The one thing that I took away from it is that he said that we were born to live to die. We are here on this earth to make an impact. I think basically he was saying that we should not be afraid to stand up for what we believe in. We should always be engaging in discussion and not be silent,” junior Kristyn Greco said

The lecture kicked off with an introduction from associate professor Edmund Abaka of the history department who spoke about the 50th anniversary of desegregation at the University of Miami. Following professor Abaka was an introduction of West by President Donna E. Shalala.

University of Miami Board of Trustees made history when in 1961 they made the decision to eliminate a color barrier and admit students regardless of their racial background. Since this effort to admit students “regardless of race, creed or color” the university has made it a priority to have a diverse student population. The University of Miami is reported to have a student body that represents over 90 different countries today alone.

The lecture given by West is part of an effort by the university to celebrate this diversity and the institution’s anniversary of desegregation.

“There was not a negro problem in 1961, there was a catastrophe problem called Jim Crow,” said West in his lecture when talking about the monumental event in civil rights.

In an intimate gathering prior to the lecture, a select group of students, faculty and administrators were able to meet West. Professor Amanullah De Sondy, visiting assistant professor in the department of religious studies, was present at the gathering and talked about why it is important to have a speaker like West come to campus.

“He’s so inspirational and he pushes us out of our comfort zone and has the ability to give us the drive to move forward,” De Sondy said. “I think that drive for me as a professor is important because students need to have that push in their academic life because one’s academic life goes hand in hand with life.”

West made a surprise appearance prior to his lecture at a vigil held by Student’s Towards a New Democracy. The Vigil was being held in solidarity with Black History month and to address issues of inequality that exists for University of Miami’s Chartwells workers. The organization invited West as a guest but had heard no confirmation that he would appear.

Students were surprised when West voluntarily took to the podium to say some words.

“I was told there are some precious, priceless food workers who are not being treated as they ought, let’s salute them,” he said.

West continued to speak about desegregation as he surveyed the crowd.

“It’s a beautiful thing to see people from all different colors and cultures here to fight for justice,” he said. “You can’t talk about desegregation over 50 years ago – of course, by desegregation you’re talking about the vicious legacy of white supremacy – you can’t fight the vicious legacy of white supremacy without also fighting the vicious legacies of male supremacy and the vicious legacies of imperial arrogance and vicious legacies of class exploitation and vicious legacies of homophobia and anti-Semitism and anti-Arab and anti-Muslim and anti-Latino and these racist immigration policies and practices around the nation.”

Senior Ryan Williamson said it was important to him to have West come and speak.

“It’s important to have public intellectuals in our lives,” he said. “Cultural gurus like Cornel West have a message to bring to students. I think his message is one that’s more relevant today than ever.”

Saira Sumbal

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Cornel West stops by campus to celebrate diversity”

The king has been dethroned. The University of Miami’s often painful uphill journey came crashing to ...

University of Miami tennis player Estela Perez-Somarriba, who made history on Sunday as the first fr ...

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...