Basketball, Sports

Canes blast Boston College on Senior Day with 88-42 blowout

To say this weekend was one filled with emotion for Katie Meier’s team is probably an understatement.

With the Canes losing in Durham on Friday night to ACC rival Duke, Miami returned to Coral Gables to finish up its regular season against Boston College Sunday afternoon with an 88-42 blowout over the Eagles.

But even with the tough loss on Friday still fresh in their minds and Senior Day at the BankUnited Center in full swing, the Canes were determined as usual.

“We started off in the locker room talking about ‘Miami doesn’t lose two in a row’,” Meier said.”We just felt like we didn’t take care of business and we should have. So the start of this game, with all the emotions, was more about being business-like and taking care of what we needed to take care of and playing as hard as we possibly could.”

Fittingly enough, the seniors did just that when Shenise Johnson, Sylvia Bullock and Riquna Williams came out firing on all cylinders, scoring the first 14 points for the Canes and holding Boston College scoreless for almost six full minutes to begin the game.

The Canes led from start to finish and suffocated Boston College with ferocious defense, forcing 28 turnovers and scoring 31 points off those turnovers.

With the game turning into a blowout seemingly from the tip, there was enough playing time to go around for everybody, and when the seniors came out for the last time with 4:28 left in the game, they were treated to a standing ovation from the 2,000-plus fans as well as hugs by the bench players and Meier.

“It was just a bittersweet moment,” Johnson said.

Johnson and Williams led the team with 19 and 20 points, respectively, and helped the Canes to a 46-point victory that extended their home winning streak to 40. This is the second consecutive season that Miami has posted an undefeated record on its home court.

The game made it clear once again how much this senior class means to the team and how instrumental they were in transforming Miami from a bottom feeder into the top-tier program it is today.

“I don’t have any worries about them in the future,” Meier said. “They have developed, they have grown. We’ve been through so much, just things you couldn’t even imagine behind the scenes. We had a pact; we were going to get through this. We were going to build this program and we’re going to do it the right way.”

But it’s not just Meier who appreciates the value of her seniors. In a Canes tradition, the freshmen decorated the seniors’ lockers with flowers, streamers, pictures, candy and more.

The mood afterward was relaxed and joyous, but Meier knows that the postseason is just around the corner with round one of the ACC tournament coming up on Thursday.

“I am so proud right now, but we’re not done,” she said. “We’re not done.”

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

The Marlins will be represented at the All-Star Game for the 25th time on July 11 when the Midsummer ...

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Seven members of the University of Miami track and field program received All-ACC Academic honors fo ...

Three members of the University of Miami rowing team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic Rowing ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on Michigan State at the Watsco Center in the 2017 ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...