SG tickets remain in election race after undergoing code violation trials

“Think B.I.G.” candidates juniors Emily Stanch and Parker Barnett wait to hear the verdict on accusations against “Inspired by U.” The trials ran until about 11:30 p.m. Thursday night and neither team was disqualified from the race. Cayla Nimmo // Assistant Photo Editor

Student Government (SG) election results will be announced Friday at noon on the Rock after the Supreme Court ruled Thursday that neither “Think B.I.G.” or “Inspired by U” would be disqualified from the race.

The two tickets went to trial after being told Wednesday that they were being investigated for allegedly violating election codes. Consequently, the results of the election, which were to be announced Wednesday afternoon, were postponed.

During the first trial Thursday evening, “Think B.I.G.” was given 18 points, in addition to the one point issued during a Tuesday night trial. The trial Thursday addressed the section of the election code that prohibits graphic campaigning in the University Center areas surrounding the polling booths.

Ryan Aquilina, who filed the violation on behalf of “Inspired by U,” presented photographs of students wearing red shirts surrounding the election commission’s computers. Aquilina alleged that at least six students had worn their “Think B.I.G” shirts while either voting or standing near other students who were voting.

However, not all the pictures presented as evidence were validated.

“We didn’t go into that thinking we weren’t going to get points,” said Parker Barnett, presidential candidate on the “Think B.I.G.” ticket. “What we did was a violation.”

Still, Barnett thought that being disqualified would have undermined the election process.

Associate Chief Justice Sean Norris said that, in both trials, the court looked at precedent and determined the severity of the case based on the number of times the violation took place.

“We wanted to send a message that what happened certainly affects the elections, but it was not serious enough to warrant disqualification,” Norris said.

After, “Inspired by U” was brought to trial for allegedly using a UC office – specifically the Student Government office – as a campaign base. In a unanimous decision by the court, “Inspired by U” was found not to have committed a violation. Zero points were issued.

The incident in discussion involved a meeting in the SG office Tuesday that was called by SG Press Secretary Mike Piacentino to discuss trial procedures with court members before the first trial involved “Think B.I.G.”

Norris sat out during the deliberation after the second trial because he was present during the gathering in the SG office Tuesday night.

Piacentino and his witnesses testified that no campaign-related discussions occurred. “Inspired by U” also presented evidence of all times that campaign meetings were called, using screenshots of text messages and photocopies of presidential candidate Nawara Alawa’s own personal planner.

“We’re happy we had zero points against us,” said Caitlin Giles, “Inspired by U” vice presidential candidate. “We’re clean. Our motto is ‘stay classy’ and we did.”

Barnett said that “Think B.I.G.” chose not to withdraw the allegations against “Inspired by U” because they did not file on a whim.

Although Barnett filed the case against “Inspired by U,” the matter was brought to his attention by a Supreme Court justice who wishes to remain nameless.

“We think that there’s a valid point when a justice on the court thinks there’s something wrong,” Barnett said

Kenneth Esman, candidate for treasurer on the “Inspired by U” ticket, acknowledges this.

“The tickets have a right to a trial if they feel there is a breach in the code,” Esman said.

The members of the Supreme Court did not wish to comment on the trials’ outcomes. Opinions of the Court will be available by Monday at 5 p.m.

Because neither ticket was disqualified, the winning ticket will be announced Friday at noon based on the students’ votes which were cast Monday through Wednesday.

“We are glad that student’s voices were heard because the votes matter,” Esman said.

Barnett agreed.

“Neither ‘Think B.I.G.’ nor ‘Inspired by U’ wanted to drag this out, and we’re excited to hear what the students voted on,” Barnett said.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

6 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “SG tickets remain in election race after undergoing code violation trials”

1. Alexa Lopez says:

Editor’s note: The Miami Hurricane wrote five articles covering this year’s Student Government elections. The only time “the other side” was not quoted was in this week’s story about the results being postponed because both tickets were to go to court. For that story, the “Think B.I.G.” ticket was given ample opportunity to give a comment about the allegations against them, as was “Inspired by U.” However, after multiple attempts – in person or via phone call, text message and email – to interview the three “Think B.I.G.” candidates, Hurricane reporters were either shooed away or ignored. In the story, it clearly states this fact: http://www.themiamihurricane.com/2012/02/23/results-of-sg-election-postponed-as-both-tickets-under-review-for-violations/

2. Anonymous says:

What is also interesting is how extremely unprofessionally the hurricane has handled this entire election process. Not only was their endorsement based on personal friendships with the Inspired by U ticket but they continued to be extremely biased in their coverage of the rest of the election process. The fact that the hurricane considers itself to be the voice of news for the student body has been deemed a joke as they display qualities a professional reputable news source would never display showing the members of the hurricane do not posess the maturity to conduct news coverage in an objective way to properly relay information to the student body. Instead of focusing on dragging the Think BIG campaign through the mud maybe they should focus on the damage they are doing to the reputation of their own institution. The side of Think BIG remains to be heard in any article written and the fact that the Inspired by U ticket has been portrayed as an innocent classy campaign is an even bigger joke as they ran an extremely dirty, classless campaign. What the Inspired by U ticket has deemed a petty issue to bring to court is actually an issue of integrity that should be seriously considered, not an actual petty issue such as tshirts being worn at a basketball game. Perhaps when the hurricane decides to become an actual objective source of news they should publish the real story along with an apology to the Think BIG ticket for the disrespectful way in which they conducted themselves. The real issue is that a group of committed, hard working students should be able to win a SG election fair and square, they should not have to rely on an endorsement of a biased news source, the unprofessional support of the current SG, and a biased court system to be elected.

3. Jose says:

It’s interesting how Inspired by U offered to drop the charges yet Think B.I.G. persisted on making this an issue. And in the end…they were given 18 points and Inspired by U left with 0.

Also, yeah text messages are terrible evidence, yet they STILL ruled in Inspired by U’s favor. Maybe it’s because Think B.I.G.’s evidence against them was even more terrible and maybe even non-existent.

In the end though, neither team was disqualified, making this entire trial process semi-pointless -_-. I hope everyone learned something from this. Next time, when someone with concrete evidence against you offers to drop the charges, accept it. Especially when you have almost no evidence against them. Congrats to Inspired by U for playing it classy and smart. Good luck next year!

4. Silly Anonymous says:

lol because you would put something you know is violating the code on paper. Obviously not, so you verbally tell people OR you text them… two things you can deny and delete

5. Anonymous says:

“…and photocopies of presidential candidate Nawara Alawa’s own personal planner.”

6. Silly says:

”Inspired by U” also presented evidence of all times that campaign meetings were called, using screenshots of text messages..”

lol because the delete button doesn’t exist

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...