Students help rescue marine life

In the second semester of Shelby Loos’ freshman year, a manatee and her calves became stranded off the coast of South Florida.

Loos, along with other members of the University of Miami Marine Mammal Stranding Team, (MMST) were called to help.

While watching a veterinarian from the Miami Seaquarium help the calves, Loos said she came to a realization.

“Right then, it kind of clicked with me,” said Loos, now a senior and the president MMST. “I always knew that I wanted to work with marine mammals, but I didn’t know to what capacity. After that, I realized I wanted to be a veterinarian.”

The organization’s main role is to assist in rescuing animals that have become stranded on Florida’s coast.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), between 2001 and 2009, there were 51,649 marine mammals that stranded in the United States.

“There’s really no other school that has a stranding team like we do and it’s such a unique opportunity,” said Loos.

About 20 members of the group traveled over the weekend to SeaWorld Orlando to learn how larger organizations rehabilitate animals.

“It was absolutely amazing,” said Lauren Simonitis, the team’s treasurer. “I’ve been there a ton of times before, but I’ve never seen the backstage tour.”

In addition to a behind-the-scenes tours, the trip included a check-in on a whale that was stranded in May along with 44 others near Key Largo. Members of MMST were the first people to arrive on the scene.

Some students helped care for the whales over the summer by taking blood samples and watching veterinarians work.

“A lot of people know about SeaWorld’s show animals, but they don’t get to see how good they are with rehabilitation,” said Loos.

Simonitis said that the club had seen videos of one of the whales’ physical therapy.

“We got to see her in a stable environment, which was great,” she said.

The team plans to visit the Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota and the Clearwater Marine Aquarium in March to learn more about rehabilitation.

Kevin Sands

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami diving team enjoyed a strong first day of competition at the University of T ...

For the fourth time in eight months, Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team is taking part in a U. ...