Students help rescue marine life

In the second semester of Shelby Loos’ freshman year, a manatee and her calves became stranded off the coast of South Florida.

Loos, along with other members of the University of Miami Marine Mammal Stranding Team, (MMST) were called to help.

While watching a veterinarian from the Miami Seaquarium help the calves, Loos said she came to a realization.

“Right then, it kind of clicked with me,” said Loos, now a senior and the president MMST. “I always knew that I wanted to work with marine mammals, but I didn’t know to what capacity. After that, I realized I wanted to be a veterinarian.”

The organization’s main role is to assist in rescuing animals that have become stranded on Florida’s coast.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), between 2001 and 2009, there were 51,649 marine mammals that stranded in the United States.

“There’s really no other school that has a stranding team like we do and it’s such a unique opportunity,” said Loos.

About 20 members of the group traveled over the weekend to SeaWorld Orlando to learn how larger organizations rehabilitate animals.

“It was absolutely amazing,” said Lauren Simonitis, the team’s treasurer. “I’ve been there a ton of times before, but I’ve never seen the backstage tour.”

In addition to a behind-the-scenes tours, the trip included a check-in on a whale that was stranded in May along with 44 others near Key Largo. Members of MMST were the first people to arrive on the scene.

Some students helped care for the whales over the summer by taking blood samples and watching veterinarians work.

“A lot of people know about SeaWorld’s show animals, but they don’t get to see how good they are with rehabilitation,” said Loos.

Simonitis said that the club had seen videos of one of the whales’ physical therapy.

“We got to see her in a stable environment, which was great,” she said.

The team plans to visit the Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota and the Clearwater Marine Aquarium in March to learn more about rehabilitation.

Kevin Sands

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...