Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

‘Great Balls of Fire’ tournament makes noise

That familiar noise, that echoing pop that fills the atrium of the Patti and Alan Herbert Wellness Center can raise thousands of dollars.  It does every year.  For the past thirteen years, UM’s Club Racquetball Team has hosted their Great Balls Of Fire tournament, a fundraiser for both the club and charity, and an increasingly successful open competition.

Lynne Olney, the coach of the team, began the tradition with two of her friends, originally holding an open tournament for around 25 people.  It has since become a campus and community-wide event.  “In the past we have benefitted Camp Keesem and The Children’s Miracle Network.  This year we have chosen the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America.”

Olney has also instituted further charitable events associated with the Racquetball Team.  “Along with the one tournament a year, the Club hosts a silent auction and a raffle.”  Despite the tight budget most club sports experience, Olney proudly maintains they don’t see a dime.  “Every penny of that money goes to charity.”

Tom Ness, the Club’s president, is proud of the tournament’s philanthropic mission.  “The Club’s budget is tiny.  We don’t keep very much of the proceeds at all.  I would say around 80% of the profits go to charity.  We are hoping to raise around four or five thousand this year.”

Great Balls Of Fire is open to all players of all skill levels.  Andrew Corbett, one of the team’s traveling players, would urge even the least experienced players to participate.  “You have to start somewhere, and this tournament is a great place to start.  Plus, its for a great cause.”

The Club itself is having its best season in recent memory.  Despite being at a size disadvantage compared to FSU and UF, the Racquetball Team is atop the standings for the Florida Cup, in front of UF, FSU, UCF, FIU, and USF.

Ness says the strength of the team is that it is a “really tight community.  All the guys are super competitive, and it really pushes your game.  You always want to be better than the next guy, but that’s what makes for a good team.”  If the team wins the Florida Cup, they will be in great standing to go to the National tournament in New Mexico late next spring.

The Great Balls Of Fire tournament takes place from the 23rd to the 25th of February on the Wellness Center Courts.  The bracket moves from round robin style, to single elimination, guaranteeing every player a five game minimum.  Sign-ups and donations are available through the Wellness Center, and online at r2sports.com.

For more information on either the Racquetball Club, or Great Balls Of Fire, contact President Tom Ness as t.ness@umiami.edu.

Dylan Bensinger

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...