Category 5, Distraction referenda pass

Both the Category 5 and Distraction magazine referenda were each passed with more than 60 percent of students voting in favor of increases to the student activity fee, the Elections Commission announced Wednesday night.

Category 5 will receive 75 cents per undergraduate student per semester, and Distraction magazine will receive $1. This will bring the student activity fee to $139.75 per semester starting fall 2013.

Category 5 Vice-Chair Javier Hernandez said that, last year Category 5 went over its budget so this year there were cuts to Hurricane Force and a decrease in the number of pep rallies.

These funds will boost both programs for next year. Category 5 members have discussed having one pep rally for every game, but they want to make sure that the quality of pep rallies is not sacrificed, Hernandez said.

He said that pep rallies have improved since beginning nighttime rallies and adding food trucks, and more is to come based on any new ideas they have.

“We want to be giving as much to students as we possibly can,” he said.

Distraction Editor-in-Chief Jonathan Borge and Executive Editor Ashley Brozic said they were “excited” and “relieved” about the approval of the Distraction referendum, which will provide student funding for the student-lifestyle magazine.

“This year, we made a lot more efforts to make sure that we saved the magazine,” Borge said.

The efforts included releasing the February issue of the magazine during voting week and rallying staff members together to pass out flyers.

If the referendum had not been passed, Distraction may have ceased to exist.

“We would be unsure if Distraction would remain a permanent fixture on campus,” Borge said. “I can now graduate, come back in five years, and the magazine will still be there.”

With the money from student fees, both editors hope to improve the magazine by including more content and increasing its presence online. They also want to integrate the magazine with more organizations and events on campus.

“We want to make sure we can represent the University of Miami’s lifestyle as much as possible,” Brozic said.

Funds are currently used for production of the entire magazine from publishing and promoting the magazine to setting up photo shoots. The School of Communication (SoC) provides the bulk of the funds.

With the approval of the referendum, student fees will pay for the magazine’s printing, while the SoC’s money will support more events on campus, Borge and Brozic said. Borge also hopes to use advertising revenue to make Distraction a “force on campus.”

“It’s the start of a different chapter,” Borge said.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Category 5, Distraction referenda pass”

1. DJ says:

To all of you who voted for this: don’t be complaining next year that the fees and tuition are too expensive. I don’t care because I’m graduating!

2. Damien says:

Category 5, 75 cents for you. One dollar for you distraction, you go distraction! And none for Hurrycane Shuttles.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...