Social media transforms personal branding

I started my own publicity agency in 2003 from my bedroom with watermelon pink walls, where I took on my first client: Myself.

The first step in marketing: editing my profile on my AIM account where I painstakingly chose colors and fonts to display my insightful views on life as I knew it, through quotes from modern day philosophers like Britney Spears, and list all of my ‘bestiez and our inside jokes. I knew the magnitude of what order to list my friends’ initials and the chaos that would ensue when I moved Arielle last after we got into a fight over whose mom would drive us to the movies.

Then MySpace went viral. I made sure to sign up so that I could upload photos of myself wearing my new VonDutch hat so everyone would know I was practically Paris Hilton and my music selection was up to date so anyone on my profile could enjoy Ashlee Simpson’s “Pieces of Me.”

Facebook was a real game changer for the Jackie Salo Publicity Agency. I ended things with MySpace Tom and began documenting every moment of my life to keep fans at ease. Every time I signed off Facebook for a quick break, I would have to decide whether to honor these monumental moments with a status, album, mupload or wall post. It would be an injustice to society if I didn’t share as much of my life as I possibly could with my Facebook fam.

When my friend suggested I join Twitter, I did so grudgingly. “It’s like so narcissistic to think that the entire Internet wants to hear my thoughts and that pound symbol thing makes me uneasy,” I told her. I discovered and embraced Twitter for what it truly is – a mechanism to send out 30,000 press releases on myself a day.

The Jackie Salo Publicity Agency continues to grow and now names miniature dachshund Winnie Salo as a client.

Jackie Salo is a freshman majoring in journalism.

Jackie Salo

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...