SoBe Wine and Food Festival oozes flavor

Miami has been on the foodie map for years. From the trendy and fresh Michael’s Genuine Food and Drink, to the classic Joe’s Stone Crab, to the culture-filled Palacio de Los Jugos, the Miami area is spilling over with unique and delicious restaurants.
This weekend, prepare to celebrate food of all kinds by driving down to one of the nightlife capitals of the world: South Beach.
In its 11th year, the South Beach Wine and Food Festival will feature local and celebrity chefs, as well as wine and liquor aficionados, in events throughout the weekend. Some of the events aren’t necessarily wallet friendly for college students, but will definitely be worth the splurge.

$20
Fit and Fun as a Family
At this family-friendly event, learn how to prepare healthy meals by famous chefs, including Sunny Anderson, Guy Fieri and Rachael Ray, while surrounded by tigers, pythons and lemurs at Jungle Island.

When: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
Where: 1111 Parrot Jungle Trail, off the MacArthur Causeway

$85
Bank of America Lifestyle Seminar: Southern Cuisine
Though Miami is technically in the South, the city definitely doen’t offer the finger-lickin’ good barbecue that’s native to states like Georgia. On Saturday, get a taste of real Southern comfort food and its perfect wine pairings prepared by Food & Wine Best New Chef winner Linton Hopkins, who owns a restaurant in Atlanta, and international wine personality Josh Wesson.

When: 1-2 p.m. Saturday
Where: Miami Beach Convention Center, 1901 Convention Center Drive

$150
Wine Spectator Seminar A
Know the difference between a shiraz and grenache grape? Whether you’re a wine novice or a bonafide connoisseur, attend one of Wine Spectator magazine’s seminars. Learn about wine qualities and wine-making techniques and taste more than 20 styles of wine.

When: 10 a.m.-12:40 p.m. Saturday
Where: The Perry Hotel, 2377 Collins Avenue

Brunch at Sea
Hop aboard the festival’s party boat and get ready for a brunch that satisfies all Latin cuisine cravings. Food Network star chef Aaron Sanchez, along with local chefs Timon Balloo of Sugarcane Raw Bar Grill, Pichet Ong of Coppelia & Qi, and Douglas Rodriguez of De Rodriguez Cuba, will be cooking up Cuban- and Mexican-inspired dishes paired with wine, rum and cigars. Feels like home.

When: 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday
Where: The Biscayne Lady will depart from Bayside Marketplace, 401 Biscayne Boulevard

$225
Whole Food Market Grand Tasting Village
If you are going to splurge on one event during this weekend’s festival, make sure it is to attend this mother ship of all events. Check out culinary demonstrations throughout the day featuring celebrity chefs including Anthony Bourdain, Anne Burrel, Paula Deen, Bobby Flay and Masaharu Morimoto; many of these chefs will also be autographing books through the afternoon. Taste the diverse and delectable foods of Miami, including dishes from Burger and Beer Joint, Kitchen 305, Mr. Chow Miami, Texas de Brazil and more than 30 other restaurants. And try a variety of wines, rums, vodkas, sakes, whiskeys, tequilas and more. Get your taste buds ready for a roller coaster of flavors.

When: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
Where: 13th Street and Ocean Drive, Miami Beach

Prices listed are per person. All events above are 21 and over, except the Fun and Fit as a Family event. For more information, including about parking and transit, and to buy tickets, visit 2012.sobefest.com.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “SoBe Wine and Food Festival oozes flavor”

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterlie Achille involved herself in many activitie ...