Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Boxing club returns to UM, can now train on campus

Senior Nick Amodeo (right) works in the ring with Keith Jackson, a trainer at the Biscayne Boxing & Fitness Club, on Feb 13. The Committee on Student Organizations recently approved the boxing club for a return to campus as an official club sport. Monica Herndon//The Miami Hurricane

Miami, raise your mitts. Boxing is officially back at The U.

After a lot of paperwork and red tape, the Committee on Student Organizations (COSO) along with the Federation of Club Sports Officers admitted the boxing club into its roster of student organizations and club sports earlier this month.

“We were hoping to be approved [by COSO]before we went home for winter break, and I was planning on coming back a few days early and littering the school with boxing club flyers,” said junior Ryan Wenger, the club’s president.  “Nothing is ever as quick as it seems.”

What this means for the boxing club is that the group can now promote on campus and train in the Wellness Center. Prior to approval the club met downtown at the Biscayne Boxing & Fitness Club under the guidance of trainer Mickey Demos Jr., whose father is in the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame for his time in the ring as a Hurricane.

The NCAA suspended boxing as a sport in 1960.

“A lot of people can’t make it out to [Biscayne Boxing] all of the time,” senior Daniel McCormick said just after being voted captain. “We know as soon as the boxing club gets on campus it’s going to blow up.”

Wenger is now in the process of applying to join the National Collegiate Boxing Association, an organization composed of college boxing clubs around the country that compete against each another. It is a subsidiary of USA Boxing.

Wenger’s long-term plan doesn’t end with gaining admittance to the NCBA, however. He has been busy talking to other schools in Florida about setting up their own boxing clubs, with the ultimate goal of forming a league of college boxing clubs in the state.

Florida State University is already onboard.

“Some healthy competition is always enjoyable, and it’s fun to play into the rivalry card,” said Nathan Crock, the president of Florida State’s boxing club. “It’ll be nice to show Miami a thing or two about how to box.”

All joking aside, Wenger and Crock want to get the University of Florida involved as soon as possible. The thought of a boxing tournament pitting Hurricanes, Seminoles and Gators against each other is all too enticing.

“Together we’re going to be writing an email to the University of Florida basically saying, ‘We’ve got two-thirds of the big three [schools]here in Florida, we need you guys,’” said Wenger, who also mentioned the University of South Florida, University of Central Florida and cross-town Florida International University as other possible members for the league.

For now, Miami’s boxing club will focus on getting a select number of its members ready to spar competitively, something that Demos stresses takes time and patience.

Demos sees amateur boxing’s popularity at Miami and other schools as a testament to the fact the sport is alive and still relevant.

“The demand on college campuses is incredible,” he said. “What we’re seeing in college boxing – the explosion of the sport – is an indicator that it’s very possibly going to be the next sport to move from club status back to varsity status.”

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Boxing club returns to UM, can now train on campus”

1. I think it is a dream come true. College boxing in the 40’s and 50′ was a very popular sport around the country. It was fortunate for me as it gave me the opportunity to go to college to become a physician at the University of Miami, one of the great power teams in the couyntry at that time. I am so proud of my son, Mickey, Jr. who never had the opportunity to box in college, but as a coach at his alma mater he is so proud. I can say he is prepared for this job. Mickey Demos, Sr

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The University of Miami track and field team will wrap up the 2017 outdoor track and field regular s ...

The Miami Hurricanes travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a weekend series with host Boston College b ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...