Obama to speak about energy policy, tour UM College of Engineering

President Barack Obama will be speaking at the University of Miami on Thursday afternoon at the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse.

Obama will be speaking about the United States’ energy policy, according to James Tien, dean of UM’s College of Engineering. Before his speech, the president will receive a tour of the college, as well as a demo of an in-house project focused on energy efficiency.

The purpose of the project, the Industrial Assessment Center, is to monitor and analyze local businesses’ energy usage. In its 13 years of existence, the Industrial Assessment Center has given recommendations to more than 200 South Florida corporations about how they can increase energy efficiency. The project is federally funded and is led by CoE Professor Shihab Asfour.

Tien said that the Industrial Assessment Center could serve as an inspiration for Obama’s federal energy policy.

“You don’t have to get more oil, you can save oil and then extend the lifeline of oil for a long time,” Tien said. “It’s all about energy saving.”

However, as Obama tours the CoE’s facilities, the building and the surrounding area will be on lockdown. Only a handful of people will be allowed in the building while the president is there, Tien said.

Following the tour, Obama will make his speech at the Fieldhouse. Doors will open at 11:45 a.m. The event will be primarily standing only and attendees will be subject to airport-like security. The event will be open solely to students and a valid Cane Card is required for entry.

Travel around the university will be difficult because typically many streets are closed off while the president’s motorcade is in the area.

Tickets for Obama’s appearance on Thursday will become available Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. That day, undergraduate, law and graduate students at the Coral Gables campus can pick up one ticket per Cane Card at the University Center Ticketmaster window; Miller School of Medicine medical students can pick up their tickets in room 2019 of the Rosenstiel Medical Science Building in the Office of Student Activities; Miller School graduate students can pick up their tickets in room 650 of the Clinical Research building at 1120 NW 14th St.; Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science students can pick up their tickets in SLAB 132 of the Graduate Studies Office at 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway.

With Obama vying for reelection, the president will be pushing forward with his campaign in Florida by attending fundraisers this week in South Florida seeking cash and electoral votes. According to The Miami Herald, he will be attending a fundraiser at the Biltmore Hotel and at the home of Chris Korge, a Democratic fundraiser. Afterward, Obama will fly to Orlando for another fundraising dinner.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...