Obama to speak about energy policy, tour UM College of Engineering

President Barack Obama will be speaking at the University of Miami on Thursday afternoon at the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse.

Obama will be speaking about the United States’ energy policy, according to James Tien, dean of UM’s College of Engineering. Before his speech, the president will receive a tour of the college, as well as a demo of an in-house project focused on energy efficiency.

The purpose of the project, the Industrial Assessment Center, is to monitor and analyze local businesses’ energy usage. In its 13 years of existence, the Industrial Assessment Center has given recommendations to more than 200 South Florida corporations about how they can increase energy efficiency. The project is federally funded and is led by CoE Professor Shihab Asfour.

Tien said that the Industrial Assessment Center could serve as an inspiration for Obama’s federal energy policy.

“You don’t have to get more oil, you can save oil and then extend the lifeline of oil for a long time,” Tien said. “It’s all about energy saving.”

However, as Obama tours the CoE’s facilities, the building and the surrounding area will be on lockdown. Only a handful of people will be allowed in the building while the president is there, Tien said.

Following the tour, Obama will make his speech at the Fieldhouse. Doors will open at 11:45 a.m. The event will be primarily standing only and attendees will be subject to airport-like security. The event will be open solely to students and a valid Cane Card is required for entry.

Travel around the university will be difficult because typically many streets are closed off while the president’s motorcade is in the area.

Tickets for Obama’s appearance on Thursday will become available Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. That day, undergraduate, law and graduate students at the Coral Gables campus can pick up one ticket per Cane Card at the University Center Ticketmaster window; Miller School of Medicine medical students can pick up their tickets in room 2019 of the Rosenstiel Medical Science Building in the Office of Student Activities; Miller School graduate students can pick up their tickets in room 650 of the Clinical Research building at 1120 NW 14th St.; Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science students can pick up their tickets in SLAB 132 of the Graduate Studies Office at 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway.

With Obama vying for reelection, the president will be pushing forward with his campaign in Florida by attending fundraisers this week in South Florida seeking cash and electoral votes. According to The Miami Herald, he will be attending a fundraiser at the Biltmore Hotel and at the home of Chris Korge, a Democratic fundraiser. Afterward, Obama will fly to Orlando for another fundraising dinner.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...